UKC

Climbing when aching?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Seb Lee 20 Sep 2012
hi guys,

ok so due to work and other commitments i've been uunable to climb since march/early april.

back then i was just pushing my grade and working 7a's, so was in the best shape i have ever been in climbing wise.

i can now climb again, tuesdays and thursdays every week, and started this tuesday just gone.

the problem is, even tho i took it easy (in terms of minimal crimping, no mono pockets etc..) i still ache. yesterday it was serious aching (everywhere!) and today only really in the forearms and when tensing abs/coughing.

so, having told all my climbing buddies which i havn't seen since the start of the year that i'd be there tonight, should i climb with still slightly aching forarms? (perhaps just take it easy?)

is this too much too soon and i'll pop a finger, (really don't want!) or just some muscle ache with minimal risk to fingers so long as i'm sensible?
 Keendan 20 Sep 2012
In reply to Seb Lee:

Sounds fine mate, a first session back takes longer to recover from.
I don't think you'll risk over training by going 2 days a week. You don't have to be fresh to train. Your aches sound muscular and you won't pop a finger if you're being careful like you say you are.

If your sessions are close together, you might want to structure it Bouldering on Tue and Routes/Endurance on Thurs. IMO routes is better if you're not completely recovered.

Hope this helps.
 jkarran 20 Sep 2012
In reply to Seb Lee:

Take it easy, see how you go on. If it's just a mild ache it'll likely ease off as you warm up anyway. If it's an ongoing problem you could look to swap the order of your sessions around so the Thursday one is the more intensive giving you more recovery time.

jk
OP Seb Lee 20 Sep 2012
In reply to Seb Lee: cheers guys, quick response!

You read my mind; was bouldering on Tuesday so gonna hit the wall, keep it easy and work stamina.

looking forward to getting back into training ready for a early jan/feb trip somewhere hot!

Charlie Noakes 20 Sep 2012
In reply to Seb Lee:

Climbing when you ache (forearms, abs, shoulders) is not something you need to be too worried about (unless the aching is in your fingers!). I do it fairly often since I increased my climbing to 4 times a week. Its when you don't ache after your sessions you need to worry... you're not trying hard enough!!
 doz 20 Sep 2012
In reply to Seb Lee: You mean some people don't always ache when climbing??
OP Seb Lee 20 Sep 2012
In reply to Charlie Noakes: haha yeah true. it only struck me as i would NEVER ache after climbing.

now thinking about it, it really does mean i needed to turn things up a bit!
 robin mueller 20 Sep 2012
In reply to Charlie Noakes:
> (In reply to Seb Lee)
>
> Climbing when you ache (forearms, abs, shoulders) is not something you need to be too worried about (unless the aching is in your fingers!). I do it fairly often since I increased my climbing to 4 times a week. Its when you don't ache after your sessions you need to worry... you're not trying hard enough!!

If you are aching, it means your muscles need time to recover. They need to recover to get stronger. Rest days are an important part of the process. Sometimes it's better to have short sessions and be fresh to climb again the next day. Depends what you want to achieve.
 steveriley 20 Sep 2012
Brendan Foster once said 'an athlete wakes up tired and goes to bed very tired'. Yes rest is important, but two sessions a week, seriously? You've just come back to it, it's bound to be harder.
OP Seb Lee 21 Sep 2012
In reply to Seb Lee: went climbing, took it easy but still climbed for 3.5 hours. loads of warming up and stretching. all fine, great night.

cheers for the responses.
 Keendan 21 Sep 2012
In reply to Seb Lee:

Good stuff.

Now you've gotta find something to do in the 4 rest days before your next session!
 steveriley 21 Sep 2012
I love a happy ending
OP Seb Lee 21 Sep 2012
In reply to Daniel Heath: haha yeah, i'm just easing myself back into training atm. will be climbing more than twice a week in a few weeks time!

(but i think its gonna take me till tuesday to fully recover from this week!) haha

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...