UKC

Lost my mojo

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
XXXX 21 Sep 2012
So I completed the Lakeland 100 back at the end of July and I was running 70 miles a week at the end of the training and I'd clocked up 200 miles a month on average since January.

But now I can't bring myself to go out at all. Every time I go out I get a load of niggles from my hips to my back. I'm running a half marathon next week which is probably going to be a record slow time.

The trouble is, although I've lost my motivation I can feel my stress levels rising and my weight piling on.

Any ideas? I can feel all my training and good work seeping away.

Richie Rich 21 Sep 2012
In reply to Eric the Red: There's people selling solo entries for the RAB Mountain Marathon on the 6th & 7th Oct, a great event with a very friendly atmosphere and you can go as hard or as easy as you want.
Cheviots this year so added bonus of running around different areas of the country.

Other than than that Man up and get out the door, the hardest part of the run is usually getting out the door, pick a nice route and go slowly.

Rich
 ajsteele 21 Sep 2012
In reply to Eric the Red:

I have had the exact same problem since running the Belfast marathon in May, even though I loved running I just can't bring myself to do it now for some reason and seem to make up little niggles to stop pretty quickly if I do manage to motivate myself to give it a go.

I have decided that next pay day I am going to go and buy the most expensive pair of running shoes available so I will feel guilty about spending the money and not using them, hopefully that way I'll force myself back into the swing of things.
In reply to ajsteele: "I have decided that next pay day I am going to go and buy the most expensive pair of running shoes available so I will feel guilty about spending the money and not using them, hopefully that way I'll force myself back into the swing of things."

That has been my wife's policy regarding the gym for years, except she appears to feel no guilt at all about buying all the unused gym gear thats in the bottom of the drawer unworn
 ajsteele 21 Sep 2012
In reply to Game of Conkers:

My girlfriend is the same only she feels no guilt about spending my money on gym gear and then not going
 tony 21 Sep 2012

Try going for a bike ride. I go through up and downs, and I do find that mixing things up a bit helps keep my enthusiasm refreshed. Cycling might also help with the niggles - I'm currently not running due to injury, but I know in the past I've been less troubled by injury when I've run a bit less and cycled a bit more.

sankster 21 Sep 2012
Relax, dont be hard on yourself. Dont make yourself do running but find other ways of keeping fit that you will enjoy..... Maybe biking, swimming, gym classes etc. You will feel like running again, i'm sure, and this will at least maintain a good base of fitness for when the time comes. And it will keep the weight at bay! I often have long phases where i have had enough of running, but it always comes back full curcle again. Good luck.
XXXX 21 Sep 2012
In reply to Richie Rich:

I do like a good mm but I think carrying a rucksack is going to aggrevate my back. Good idea though. I think I need to get into the hills again and run rather than pounding the streets.

XXXX 21 Sep 2012
In reply to all:

Thanks everyone, good to know I'm not the only one that's had a period of donwtime after a big event. I normally get over it by entering another race but it hasn't worked.

I don't have a bike but it might be time to get swimming and aim for a triathlon next year. Maybe...

mattrm 21 Sep 2012

I think this sort of thing is quite common post large event. It might be worth taking a short break from any running at all. You'll probably come back at it feeling refreshed and the motivation will come back.

I've found that after my ultra (and I know a mate who does 12-24hr solo mtb endurance races has similar problems) I was pretty disinterested in running for a while, but it's coming back now.

So take a break, keep on eating sensibly, maybe do some other light cardio that you enjoy, swimming/cycling/hill walking etc and in a month, you'll be raring to get going again. As long as you don't let your weight go nuts, you'll slim down and be back to your peak in no time at all.
 StefanB 21 Sep 2012

After my first ultra something like this happened to me. I interpreted the lack of motivation as a clever way of my body telling me that I needed a lot of time for recovery. An event like an ultra can impact significantly on the endoctrine and other systems. The fact that get these "niggles" suggests that something is no right yet.
One option is to try focusing on a different activity, like biking. If you are like me however and running is the sport you like then there various options like very leisurely runs in groups with no objective whatsoever in new areas, away form your usual routine, or picking a very different goal, like training for a fast 5K. I like ultras and mountain running, but at some point in the year, usually after a big event after summer my motivation goes and I switch to train for a winter 10K. This usually gets me back a different type of mojo.
 Andy Hemsted 21 Sep 2012

Have you tried orienteering? There's usually an event in every part of the country sometime over each weekend, most events welcome newcomers, and of course you'll be running off-road, so it's easier on the joints. If you enjoy maps, it's the greatest way of keeping fit and motivated...
XXXX 21 Sep 2012
In reply to StefanB and mattrm:

It's been 2 months since the event and I stopped running for 4 weeks completely. It wasn't my first ultra either although the first one of 100 (and 5) miles!

Good ideas though, I'm moving house soon and will be nearer some hills so that might help and I'll probably join the running club there.

XXXX 21 Sep 2012
In reply to Andy Hemsted:

Yes, I've been orienteering for years, love the longer stuff but the short sprints that tend to be run in the summer whilst the brambles are up are a bit short for me. I'll make sure I start in the autumn... goes to check when the next one is...

There's a lot on tinterweb about this e.g.

http://coachdeanhebert.wordpress.com/2009/10/22/post-race-depression/

I would say it's pretty normal especially if you are doing heavy endurance events. Your body can take a real hammering mentally and physically.
In reply to La Shamster:

...strip it back to just being pure fun again with no pressure and also go for a real healthy diet to get some great mood food into your system. Remember when you train for endurance races you are taking so much nutrition out of you system you must replace it back with good stuff.
 steveriley 21 Sep 2012
About 6 weeks for me for full mojo return after a spring ultra. I just ticked over with it, rode my bike, swam a bit, even climbed a bit! S'not unusual is it?
Scholes 21 Sep 2012

I used to run heavily as well, 70-80 miles a week on average - not training for a marathon or anything, I just loved running, trying to stay in shape and keeping myself sane waiting for the summer to head off to the hills.

Last Feb, I messed up a bunch of ligaments in my right foot. I couldn't run at all for months... I still did my best to stay in shape in other ways but completely lost my mojo as well even when I began to actually be able to use the foot again.

I climbed on a aching right foot all summer, then only recently found the urge to get back into "training". - still can't / or don't want to run like I used to. A bunch of us staff here are doing some gym jones/cross training/p90x type workout circuts, they're really motivating and fun.

Realized that I'm just completely burnt out from running and only this past week I was able to go for a 2 hour run for the first time since my injury.
 Banned User 77 21 Sep 2012
In reply to Eric the Red: I get really depressed after big ultra's.

I know its coming now so can get used to it. I forgot to warn the lady who won the 50 about it and she got the same.. initial elation and then a low.. really intense for a few days.

I now always have another challenge on the horizon. Even if its just a few fun fell races, trail races, something to keep me interested. But I also run anything from ultra's to 5k's, MMM to cross country and think the changes help keep me interested.

Moley 21 Sep 2012
In reply to Eric the Red: Quite normal feelings, I've felt very elated for the week after and then "zonk out" for up to 6 weeks (I am probably quite a bit older). I think your body is telling you "give me a chance to mend", especially if you are not a regular super athlete.

Relax and go for hill walks to places you enjoy, soon find yourself wanting a little jog etc. Don't stress about it, you won't lose too much.
 Banned User 77 21 Sep 2012
In reply to Moley: Mines much more intensive that that.. occurs 24-48 hrs afterwards.. over by the weekend after.. but I do the same.. just run because I want to run for a few weeks, just fun runs in the hills, no watch, no training.. nice trail runs etc and slowly build back.
 mrchewy 21 Sep 2012
In reply to Eric the Red: Yep - been super flat about running since the Ultra in June but just starting to poke my head above the parapet now. It hit me in the Alps just two weeks after the event and although I've ran bits and bobs, last week I made a concerted effort to get out every day but it just wasn't in me. I think I'm going to get back to interval training, sprints etc...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...