UKC

Playground Boulders

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tricky Dicky 24 Sep 2012
Has anybody tried bouldering on the boulders that are cropping up at childrens playgrounds??

Can you work put any reasonable routes??
 Kieran_John 24 Sep 2012
In reply to Tricky Dicky:

There's a boulder in York in a kid's playground that's ok. A friend and I drove around to it on the way back from another climb and did a bit of traversing and made up a couple of problems.

Wouldn't go back but it was fun enough to cap off an evening.
 jwa 24 Sep 2012
There's a good one in Heeley, Sheffield that I found the other week but it's been around for a while. While you get a fair few kids getting stuck at the top at the weekend, both times I've been adult climbers have been there. I guess it depends who makes it, how they make it and what the intended audience is but the one in Heeley has a good selection of holds and lots of problems to be created.
parberoo 25 Sep 2012
Stanwick lakes near Rushden has a pretty good man-made boulder.
I've been to muck about on it a number of times. It's a 4 sided thing with an easy and hard side. Hard side is slightly overhanging and on mainly diagonal crimpy stuff. Kids don't get up it so someone might as well use it. Probably about 3m high.
Ultimately, us in the midlands/fens etc dont exactly have much choice when it comes to stuff to climb on without paying/driving so you have to make the best of a bad lot. This just happens to be somewhere I'd have been going anyway so stopping for a climb doesn't hurt.
You can get pumped hanging off your architrave but at least something like this is a change of scenery. Fresh air and all that. I'm also not adverse to climbing frames, trees and walls. Does help to have kids though. Being the old chap lurking on his own in the childrens play area would probably not go down so well.
 Rob Grant 25 Sep 2012
In reply to jwa: There is a second boulder planned for Heeley that is going to have some steep faces on it. There is also a boulder in Green Oak Park in Totley that has some small holds and overhanging features on it.
OP Tricky Dicky 25 Sep 2012
Many thanks for the replies. There are three playgrounds with boulders near me (Sandhurst, Farnborough and Yateley), so I'll have to check them out.
In reply to Tricky Dicky: http://www.bendcrete.com/climbingwallimagery/Boulders/Central-Forrest-Park....

Some cool eliminates on the steep sides of these boulders from V0 to V3
 Twigger 26 Sep 2012

go to RCC?
 DreadyCraig 26 Sep 2012
> There are three playgrounds with boulders near me (Sandhurst, Farnborough and Yateley)

And Ash Vale
OP Tricky Dicky 04 Oct 2012
In reply to DreadyCraig: Do you know where the Ash Vale one is??

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...