UKC

Good MTB trails, bunk house & pub in Wales or the Peak

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jessyb 24 Sep 2012

I'm looking for somewhere in the peak or wales for a weekend trip in a couple of weeks that meets the following criteria:

good mountain bike trails (1 hard core dude, 2 med, 1 beginner).
a bike hire shop for 1 of us.
a decent bunk house or other accomodation.
a pub in bow legged walking distance of the above (obviously).

Been doing some of the classic trails in the Dark Peak book around Ladybower. Be nice to go somewhere different.

Appreciate any advice!
 balmybaldwin 24 Sep 2012
In reply to limey:

Have a look at Afan. I've just got back from a weekend there with a couple of experienced friends, and one beginner(ish).

There's a campsite at http://www.afanforestpark.co.uk/Default.aspx?page=6342

Decent showers, a good bike shop, bike hire and the centre cafe does a good breakfast and a decent evening meal, including a range of beer, wine etc and is open to 10:30pm.

We did the Skyline route which was pretty good, with a few boring sections although the final descent was excellent (but with technical bits) all of the route is rollable apart from a few drop-offs on the final descent, but by this time with a bit of coaching our beginner was fine with these.

Although its graded Red, the only section that really merited it was the final descent. It has a diversion on it at the moment, and is only 30Km. Some great views from the top across to Pen Y Fan.
 blurty 24 Sep 2012
In reply to limey:

Orpheus caving club, walking distance to a good boozer, walking distance to parsley hay cycle hire, loads of good routes on the white peak

ChrisJD 25 Sep 2012
In reply to limey:

I always liked the riding around Gunnersdale in North Yorkshire - good for all levels.

Bike hire here:

http://www.dalesbikecentre.co.uk/index.php/
(no idea if they are any good)

gali 25 Sep 2012
In reply to limey: I run a small climb/Mtb friendly BandB in Betws y coed, North Wales called Swn y Dwr. Locally we have the MARIN, Penmachno and Coed y Brenin nearby. Also the New Antur Stiniog Freeride / DH centre in Blaenau Ffestiniog . I'm a Mountain Bike Leader so would be happy to show you some less frequented areas.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...