Gear forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Waterproof jackets

spamo on 25 Sep 2012
Hey!

So I am wondering how waterproof my waterproof jacket needs to be. Now that will no doubt sound like a stupid statement/question as there is so much advice out there (believe me I have read it all) and will be dependent on the various sports I will be doing but bear with me.

I climb, cycle, run/walk and ski and want a decent waterproof that will cover all the bases. I saw what I think looks a good deal (80) for the rab volt which fits me pretty well:

http://rab.uk.com/products/mens-clothing/shell/volt-jacket.html

My only problem is that it is quite a 'light' jacket and its waterproofing is pertex rather than some more hard wearing and more waterproof coating like Gore Tex/eVent.

I want to get into winter climbing but will not have the opportunity to do that for at least a year so don't feel I need to splash out on what I would call a more 'heavy duty' waterproof yet.

Any opinions on the jacket/Rab/pertex shield + fabric? And can you 're-waterproof' pertex in a similar way to gore tex?

Many thanks to all helpers!
... not showing 14 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums