UKC

Fionnphort bouldering

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JLS 26 Sep 2012
 Beardyman 27 Sep 2012
In reply to JLS: It's certainly been explored by climbers including Mike Tweedly and Tom Charles Edwards. From what I've heard the rock is quite often annoyingly blank and some of it has a sugary texture.

Having said that I'm sure all that is required is someone keen to get up there and document a load of problems, then other will follow and add to what's there. I'd do it if I had time... hint hint!

Last time I was there I spotted some amazing lines but didn't have time to try them or even get up close.

Get on it!!
 Chad123 27 Sep 2012
In reply to JLS: Went there with the missis a few weeks ago and enjoyed the easy circuit, best ones were the two crags closest to the sea. Like you found lots of excellent extras to add to the circuit, but have no photos to write them up. Sit start crack left of the lovely slab problem (left crack in first picture here:- http://stonecountry.blogspot.co.uk/2008/05/wake-up-and-have-your-corncrakes... ) is an obvious addition we liked. Also problems 3 and 4 have a better block further right which has lovely cracks, aretes and eliminates on, we did at least 3 good lines there. Note also that the crux problem on the circuit is drawn too far left on the topo up a ridiculous blank wall!
 adi3969 27 Sep 2012
In reply to JLS: Yes I've done it a few years back and sketched my way up the arete to the right as several prior to me have probably done. Gritty and scary Font 6b+ ish. The stonecountry topo is the only thing out there so you make up the gaps for now. Great dyno problem up the arete to the left of No.7. Its a quality venue if a little scritty in places , perfect for the family (i'll just be half an hour dear) holiday. Greg Chapman has added some harder stuff over towards Kintra (lakes bloc), but i think its just scratching the surface up here.
OP JLS 27 Sep 2012
In reply to adi3969:

Cool ! Can you remember if it was the top out or the high step and rock-over onto the second rail that was the hardest bit? I sort of imagined you may be high enough on the second rail that the top-out wouldn't be so bad but getting onto the second rail was fluff-able.

Glad I didn't try the move 6B+ is about my limit and not on-sightable for me.
OP JLS 27 Sep 2012
In reply to Beardyman:

>"I spotted some amazing lines but didn't have time to try them"

Ditto. Spring 2013...
OP JLS 27 Sep 2012
In reply to Chad123:

>"and enjoyed the easy circuit"

Unfortunetly, I hadn't looked out the Stone Country topo as I hadn't intended to climb there. Would be great to expand the circuit to a font-esque size of40 to 50 problems.
 frazzy4 28 Sep 2012
In reply to JLS: Had a play about down there a good few years ago. Didn't have a topo with me so no idea what problems I did. Climbing the cracked boulder on the beach is a must. Did you make it to loch Buie? My folks have a house 10 mins from Fionnphort, but ironically I've done very little climbing on Mull. Mostly walking and fishing
OP JLS 28 Sep 2012
In reply to frazzy4:

"Climbing the cracked boulder on the beach is a must."

I didn't look at it closely as from a distance I thought it looked too low to offer any sport...
 adi3969 29 Sep 2012

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...