/ Needing advice on starting out!!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Smith17 - on 26 Sep 2012
Hi I'm 17 and live in Kent, I really want to get into climbing and mountaineering, I just don't know where to start. I've been top roping with my parents for a while, but I want to move on and learn more skills. Has anyone got any tips on starting out?

Thanks in advance

Connor :D
stonemaster - on 26 Sep 2012
In reply to Smith17: Kent, hmm, sandstone only until you are more mobile. Good luck.
AdCo82 on 26 Sep 2012
In reply to Smith17:

Maybe get on a course at somewhere like Plas Y Brenin?
Smith17 - on 26 Sep 2012
In reply to stonemaster: Kents probably the worst place for climbing in uk, however!! Passed my theory today so one step closer to freedom & more climbing!
Smith17 - on 26 Sep 2012
Thanks I'll have a look
silhouette - on 27 Sep 2012
In reply to Smith17: you don't say where in Kent. However I wouldn't waste time waiting for a driving licence; there are plenty of crags easily accessible by train and bus. I would not get hung up on expensive fancy training courses. Is there a bouldering wall convenient? If you start going somewhere like that and start talking to people you'll pick up loads of info quickly. Thirdly, have you thought about just advertising for a partner on here?; maybe someone with a bit of experience who wants to progress. Just a few thoughts.
SimonCRMC - on 27 Sep 2012
In reply to Smith17:

Maybe check out clubs - there are some in London, not sure about Kent, but you could probably find out via the BMC website. They tend to welcome keen newcomers. Also find a local climbing wall and put up a request for a climbing partner and/or do the same on here. There are plenty of people with experience who seem happy to help relative novices get some mileage.
HTH
Simon
Joe McKay on 07 Oct 2012 - S0106001ff3c56bdc.cn.shawcable.net
In reply to Smith17:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mikebarter3

everything you need to know

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.