UKC

Climbing and mountaineering

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 AdCo82 27 Sep 2012
In order to be a successful mountaineer and tackle peaks in the great ranges is it important to be pushing the e grades?

For example is someone like Kenton Cool or Alan Hinkes that good at rock climbing?
 cbonner 27 Sep 2012
In reply to An Triubhas:

Yes, I would guess they are comfortable with some E grades.

But I guess it depends what ambitions you have in mind?

bradzy_c 28 Sep 2012
In reply to An Triubhas:
I was thinking the same thing the other day actually. I went to the Kenton Cool/Neil Gresham Sherpa Adventure Gear talks the other week in Manchester and it was mentioned that Kenton wasn't very good at summer climbing. However 'isn't very good' could still be the low E grades.

Brad
 Neil Henson 28 Sep 2012
In reply to An Triubhas:
> In order to be a successful mountaineer and tackle peaks in the great ranges is it important to be pushing the e grades?

Depends on your definition of successful mountaineer and which peaks you wish to tackle.
>
> For example is someone like Kenton Cool or Alan Hinkes that good at rock climbing?

Compared to Dave Macleod, probably not. Compared to your average climber then yes. I would suspect that the majority of top UK mountaineers are operating at E2 minimum and much higher in many cases e.g. Nick Bullock, Andy Cave etc...
 jimtitt 28 Sep 2012
In reply to An Triubhas:
You could ponder on what e grades Hillary and Tenzing could climb!
 AlanLittle 30 Sep 2012
In reply to An Triubhas:

Reinhold Messner was the first person to climb UIAA VIII (=~ trad E5, probably) in the Dolomites in the late 60s. Definitely world class at the time.

http://www.alpinist.com/doc/web08f/newswire-dolomites-historic-trad
In reply to An Triubhas: I think for the guide scheme, you have to have climbed at least E2(and Possibly higher) IIRC

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...