/ Harnesses HELP!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Ash Smith - on 27 Sep 2012
Hi I have a problem I need help with for the past few months ive been using my mates spare harness (dmm viper size small) and decided to buy my own harness so I purchased the dmm renegade size small. But on trying it on it feels loose compared to the viper even though the are the same size. How can I tell it fits ok on me before going to the wall/crag?
stonemaster - on 27 Sep 2012
In reply to Ash Smith: Perhaps it is worth spending your hard earned at a shop attached to a climbing wall unless you know the exact model and size. They mostly seem to be very good at letting you test the harnesses first. That sort of service is usually well worth the money. Otherwise, it is time to eat more pies. Good luck.
Tommyads on 27 Sep 2012
In reply to Ash Smith:

Can you clear up for me, have you bought it yet? Or did you go to buy it and back out because you weren't sure?

If you bought it online, or just without trying it Im sure your wall could help you out?
If you haven't got it from the shop yet, ask for help! Anywhere selling harnesses should be able to fit them.

Worst case, you have one that doesnt fit, so sell it on here to get some money back and go to a shop for help.

I have a renegade and a viper and didnt notice any size difference at all. Perhaps it is unthreaded from the retaining elastics on one of the harnesses and not the other?
climber david - on 27 Sep 2012
In reply to Ash Smith:

You can tell if its on right if you can get your hand down between you and the waist belt but not much more. you also shouldn't be too close to ethier extreme (close to the maximum or minimum size for the harness)

As said above if you haven't already bought it then go to a shop where you can at least try it on hanging and get the shop staff to help you
McKEuan - on 27 Sep 2012
In reply to Ash Smith:

Hey, thing with the renegade (i've had 2!) is that it has a floating waist belt! when you do it up hold the belay lope and slide the gear loops round to the left making sure the belay loop stays at the fron, you'll notice that you have more tape to tighten up?? Just a suggestion ;)
michael00693 - on 28 Sep 2012
In reply to Ash Smith: With all harnesses, if you cannot pull down the waistbelt over your hip bones, so if you invert you won't slip out, then it fits. However, whether it fits COMFORTABLY is another thing altogether.
teh_mark - on 28 Sep 2012
In reply to Ash Smith:

A small Renegade feels loose!? I have the exact harness (albeit a few years old now so the sizing might have been tweaked or something) and it fits me perfectly, and I am as small as small comes.

As said above, fiddling with the floating padding may well give you more webbing to tighten. Also as said above, if you can't pull it down then you aren't going to die (from falling out of your harness at least).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.