UKC

We can do the simple bits - now what?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Annoying Twit 28 Sep 2012
My 12yo goes to the local climbing wall once a week now. We've been through a parent and child course.

He likes the bouldering wall most. We generally just go there and climb, and he's getting better at it, and attempting harder climbs.

Is there anything I/we should do to help him improve more? Or is just letting him climb and learn by trial and error a good strategy? I'm not really any better than him, though he insists on me bouldering as well, and it's becoming easier for me too.

I'd be hesitant to make things too formal as it might "de-fun" the experience and make it a chore. Also, while we're just climbing now, we'll probably take another course some time in the future. But I'll ask in case people have good ideas.
 krank 28 Sep 2012
In reply to Annoying Twit:

get him some coaching sessions, its the best way to go, they can weed out bad habits and introduce him to good climbing practice which is difficult to pick up on your own.

Any coach worth his salt will be able to do this in a fun way so it wont be to formal but it will have a great effect on his climbing ability.

i would recomend getting hold of Tom Randall, i found him to be very good and a nice fella, he is an excellent coach and has experience coaching youths.
Is there a 'kid's club' at your wall you can take him to? Climbing with his peers will make the coaching aspect more fun.
 robin mueller 28 Sep 2012

> Is there anything I/we should do to help him improve more?

Go twice a week?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...