UKC

Iplayer etc abroad.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 James Malloch 28 Sep 2012
Does anyone know an easy (and preferably free) way to stream things such as iplayer, 4od and Sky Go whilst abroad?

Or are the free ways all rubbish?
 andy 28 Sep 2012
In reply to James Malloch: don't know about free, but i use "watchuktvabroad" which you can subscribe to for a month for £4.99 and it works pretty flawlessly. You just have to remember to cancel it when you get home.
 Elmo9090 28 Sep 2012
In reply to James Malloch: I have been working away this year, and couldn't get iplayer abroad, i think it recognises the ip address you're using as foreign. didnt try 40d though.

andy 28 Sep 2012
In reply to Elmo9090: none of them work - tht's why you need a VPN like the one mentioned above.
Phil Payne 28 Sep 2012
In reply to James Malloch: What do you want to watch? If you just want to catch up some TV series that you like then there are loads of sites where you can stream recently broadcast shows. tv-links.eu is good
OP James Malloch 28 Sep 2012
In reply to James Malloch: Will look into the one for £5 a month thanks.

I think it's just for general programs really, my girlfriend has gone to Prague for Uni this year and just trying to get anything that can keep her occupied in the evenings I think. I just thought I'd try to find out what others do.
 icnoble 28 Sep 2012
In reply to James Malloch: There was supposed to be a cut down version of BBC iplayer for use abroad. We have friends who live in Spain for 6 months of the year, and as they live in the UK as well they have paid for their tv licence.
You would think the BBC could have a system to allow licence payers to watch the BBC abroad.
 Mikkel 28 Sep 2012
In reply to icnoble:

There is all sorts of rights in play when it comes to this.
I can sit here at home in the UK and watch some stuff online on the Danish national TVs website, but not all, one thing that i can watch though is Dr Who.

So if you fancy watching Dr who while abroad you can always do it on the Danish site lol
 TobyA 29 Sep 2012
In reply to James Malloch:

> I think it's just for general programs really, my girlfriend has gone to Prague for Uni this year and just trying to get anything that can keep her occupied in the evenings I think.

I'm sure with all that excellent cheap beer, and loads of intellectual young male students with their chiseled Slavic looks and superb knowledge of central European cultural history, she'll have plenty of entertainment without tv.

oh, I see what you mean.

I use viewTVabroad.com it's €6.50 a month, so I guess about a fiver, and generally works fine.
 TobyA 29 Sep 2012
In reply to Mikkel:

> So if you fancy watching Dr who while abroad you can always do it on the Danish site lol

But, I guess the Danes don't dub anything? So that's excellent to know! I think of the Finnish national broadcaster you can watch their own programmes abroad, news etc. but not any of the UK/US/German imports.
 Mikkel 29 Sep 2012
In reply to TobyA:

yea its all subtitles, unless its kids cartoons
 stp 29 Sep 2012

A lot of the best stuff can be found on bit torrent, particularly soon after it's first aired. The quality is usually better and it tends to be around for longer. The beeb has the irritating habit of pulling stuff down before I get the chance to watch it so if I miss something I just look on bit torrent for it.
 Neil Williams 29 Sep 2012
In reply to stp:

"A lot of the best stuff can be found on bit torrent, particularly soon after it's first aired. The quality is usually better and it tends to be around for longer. The beeb has the irritating habit of pulling stuff down before I get the chance to watch it so if I miss something I just look on bit torrent for it."

...and break the law. And because of the nature of file sharing, AIUI have quite a good chance of getting caught at it, as well.

Neil
 rdelf 29 Sep 2012
i'm in canada, so i have the same. i got a program called "foxy proxy" which is an add-on for your internet browser. you can then find a free IP address online (i used the http://www.hidemyass.com/proxy-list/ to find an IP). follow the foxy proxy instructions and put the IP in, its worked for me to use bbc iplayer. its a bit slower than your normal internet connection, but once the program has started and is playing, i've been able to turn it off and it carries on as normal. really easy to switch between the two, at least in google chrome anyway. all free
 ben b 30 Sep 2012
In reply to rdelf: We have foxyproxy and one of their own proxy servers, works fine if a little slow. Just downloading Dr Who as we speak for Mrs B....

b

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...