UKC

Which Trangia- 25 or 27?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 browndog33 29 Sep 2012
I think I'm going to buy a Trangia for wild camping but am not sure which size will be best- the 27 or the 25? The stove will be mainly for one man use (albeit a fat barsteward) although occasionly my 10 year stepson may come along too.
Any recommendation appreciated.
Thanks, Mark.
 mypyrex 29 Sep 2012
In reply to browndog33: What's wrong with the UKC Trangia?
 Mikkel 29 Sep 2012
In reply to browndog33:

i would go for the bigger one, and get the gas conversion kit for it.
OP browndog33 29 Sep 2012
In reply to Mikkel: Can I ask why you'd go for the bigger one?
 Mikkel 29 Sep 2012
In reply to browndog33:

Because i sometime find it small for 2 (but i do like to eat lol)
In reply to Mikkel: Thanks, do you know if the 25 is much bigger?
 Mikkel 29 Sep 2012
In reply to browndog33:

its the big one i got
Which to be honest, is perfect size for 2 people for me.
In reply to Mikkel: ok thanks, on a general note what do you think about them?
 Mikkel 29 Sep 2012
In reply to browndog33:
I love them, used them since i was a kid.
They are so stable you can stir without having to hold on to the pot, unlike the little flimsy ones with a pot balancing on top of a canister.
With the gas converter they are so nice to cook on, and you can get the gas canister inside it when packed up.
In reply to Mikkel: Ok thanks for your help Mikkel.
Mark.
 Phil1919 29 Sep 2012
In reply to browndog33: I prefer the big one, but generally take the small one as it fits in better.
 BigHairyIan 30 Sep 2012
In reply to browndog33: I have both. The bigger one is better in my opinion. However, as other people have posted, they are top tastic bits of kit. The design.has hardly changed in 30 years. I don't have a gas converter for mine, but people I know who do have rave about it.

For you and your step son, the larger one is the one for you. Obviously it is a bit heavier, but not significantly!
OP browndog33 30 Sep 2012
In reply to BigHairyIan: Ok thanks, that has finally made my mind up.
Mark.
 d_b 01 Oct 2012
In reply to browndog33: I prefer the smaller one

mostly because I find the meths burner a bit underpowered for the larger pans. Either is worth getting though.
cb294 01 Oct 2012
In reply to browndog33:

If you are getting a new one, have a look at the primus heat exchanger pans. The smaller one of these (2.1l) will fit into the larger trangia. Together with the gas burner this is the perfect camping or trekking setup. I recently carried this combination 150 km through the Padjelanta and Sarek national parks in Sweden, and it made it easy to cook meals for 2 adults and 3 children.

Christian
cb294 01 Oct 2012
In reply to cb294:

... or, if you are buying new, why not go for a primus eta power stove right away? The heat exchanger pans really are an improvement in efficiency over the trangia. Robustness I don't know, hard to beat the trangia I guess. I have mine since 30 years, one gas burner died at some point, put the pans and casing even survived being run over by my old Volvo.

Christian

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...