UKC

Club owned bouldering wall

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 AliMackenzie 01 Oct 2012
Hi

I'm a Student from Scotland who's studying in LuleƄ, Sweden. I've joined the local climbing club, which I had to do to get access to their bouldering wall.
I thought this was strange at first (the club owning the wall), but i've been told that this is the normal way things are in Sweden/Norway.
The wall was made and now run by the community of climbers, so there are no profits, no rules, just bouldering!

I was just wondering why this isn't happening in Britain? Or is it? It seems like a good way of doing it.
 AlanLittle 01 Oct 2012
In reply to AliMackenzie:
> I was just wondering why this isn't happening in Britain?

Dunno, but it's also common in Germany. The Deutsche Alpenverein (DAV) is admittedly a much bigger organisation than the BMC - more like the BMC, YHA, Ramblers Association all rolled into one & then some. But local DAV sections are something like British clubs, and lots of them have their own walls.

Two walls in Munich where I live are owned by the DAV but the Munich DAV is huge - over a hundred thousand members - and the walls are operated by a franchise company as commercial ventures. But lots of smaller towns have bouldering walls owned & run by their local DAV sections.

The only such one I've been to was in north Germany - Bielefeld - and was quite big. They had a routes section that didn't look that great, but a really good bouldering area, v. friendly atmosphere. Payment system was a ticket machine at the entrance with nobody checking if anybody was paying.

marvin1987 10 Oct 2012
In reply to AlanLittle: I know the wall you mean. Has it got a section outside built onto the outer wall. Quite limited on Top Rope and lead routes, but the bouldering upstairs was really good.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...