UKC

Weather this weekend for the Glenoe Marathon

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Wonrek 02 Oct 2012
Can anyone with a better ability to read the long range forecasts give me a laymans view of the weather forecast for Sunday in Glencoe and Fort Bill.

I'm registered to run the Glenoe marathon and really looking Forward to it but am worried that Im prepared correctly for the weather conditions.

Living down here in sunny Cornwall means the conditions I've trained in are probably several degrees warmer than up there!

Is anyone else doing it?

Cx
 alicia 03 Oct 2012
In reply to Wonrek:

No info on the weather but just wanted to say good luck, I remember you talking about this in June.

Maybe just assume it will be wet, cold, and miserable, and anything above that is a bonus?

have fun!
OP Wonrek 03 Oct 2012
In reply to alicia:
> (In reply to Wonrek)
>
> No info on the weather but just wanted to say good luck, I remember you talking about this in June.
>
> Maybe just assume it will be wet, cold, and miserable, and anything above that is a bonus?
>
> have fun!

June seems such a long way ago now! I remember it deluging it down that day too!

Just concerned that I pack the right number and fabric layers and I am really crap at interpreting long range forecasts.

Getting very nervous now, this is the biggest race to date.

How did you get on at CQ btw? (it was CQ wasn't it?)

Cx

Nathan Adam 03 Oct 2012
In reply to Wonrek: Sunshine. Lots and lots of Sunshine..

Optimism is the key !
 Mark Bull 03 Oct 2012
In reply to Wonrek:

Dry, bright, maybe some sunshine, cool (around 10C), light to moderate winds.
 alicia 03 Oct 2012
In reply to Wonrek:

I think that must have been someone else, I'm not sure what CQ is, although now I'm wondering if I've just completely forgotten something I should know! I did the West Highland Way race in June, then just a small 50-miler and some marathon training since then.

Are you driving to Glencoe? If so, you could always just pack absolutely everything!

By the way, I tried out my friend's Raidlight waterproof overmitts at the WHW and they were the business! I don't mind if the rest of me is cold and wet but I hate having cold/wet hands, so these were perfect.
OP Wonrek 04 Oct 2012
In reply to alicia: Yes of course, sorry

I'm flying up so am going to be limited on space. The forecast as I see it is looking up for the weekend so am thinking maybe only the seven layers instead of nine

The mitts sound good, I'm afraid I'm just not as experienced as I want to be with mountain racing because it all comes down to experience and I'm afraid we don't have many mountains here in Cornwall (coast path a plenty though!)

And CQ is the Classic Quarter which is a great 44 miler down here. I'm contemplating tht or the UTSW next year as they're on the doorstep.

Got Glenoe and Snowdonia to get through first!

Cx
In reply to Wonrek: Shorts/vest/shades and maybe some light gloves for the first few miles. Carry the compulsory kit.

As ever, haven't done enough training but it should be fun. Did 4 ultras up to 60 miles this year so injuries and a preference to climb since August has meant no speed work at all and in fact very little running but at least it's going to feel shorter. I'm getting the bus from fort william so i can make a quick get away at the finish. I'll be in an orange and grey vest- white shades if it's sunny!

Graeme
In reply to Wonrek: http://www.mwis.org.uk/lvfyvzenqzl/WH.PDF
Definitely shades on and just a vest for me if this holds for Sunday. Sounds like great running weather. The race doesn't go especially high and you'll warm up quickly so i'd go pretty light.
OP Wonrek 04 Oct 2012
In reply to graeme gatherer: Ah thanks, that's what I'd wear here, is it really warm enough up there for it too?! But then I guess if the wind isn't doing a hoolie then should be good!

Had taken my shades out, think it might be an idea to put them back in I guess. Weathers looking a darn site better up there than it is down here for the weekend.

I'm not terribly fast at the moment either. I've only done two ultras this year but have really been pushing distance over speed. Saying that though I did two trail marathons last month so I've tried to consolidate at that distance.

Hope to bump into you, I'm wearing my 'Mud Crew' shirt (black)

Cx

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...