/ Montane Extreme Smock As A Belay Jacket?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Orcalink - on 03 Oct 2012
I'm toying with buying the Montane Extreme Smock as an all weather warm throw-on for when I'm out on exercise with the TA, and because I'm cheap I'm wondering if I could get away with using it as a belay jacket for what will almost certainly be a horrifically wet winter ... Has anyone else tried this, or got any useful reviews of this product, specifically it's heat retention when wet?

http://www.montane.co.uk/products/men/extreme/extreme-smock/99

Thanks ^^
steev on 03 Oct 2012
In reply to Orcalink:

Great in terms of warmth etc, but is a real pain to get on and off.
Climbing mckay - on 03 Oct 2012
In reply to Orcalink: I have an extreme smock and have found it fine in middle rain, in a proper down pour it wont work so well though as it is water resistant rather than proof, basically is a thick softshell. If you are worried about wet conditions then have a look at the resolute smock, the fabrics used have a higher resistance to the wet, as well as water proof zips.

Hope it helps, if you have a TK Maxx near you then have a look in there, my lcal have had the atomic stretch jacket and recently the extremem jacket. They may have near you, just dont trust there site, its useless.
In reply to Orcalink: I used to have one, and a Buffalo before that, but its the type of thing you aim to wear all day. I would be a hassle taking it on and off. Also to work well, it needs to fit well. Having one slim on you like that means it would make an even less good belay layer.
ads.ukclimbing.com
Doug on 03 Oct 2012
In reply to TobyA: I also have one, and wore it a lot when still living in Scotland, both for climbing a skiing. But its like a buffolo top, which as Toby says, you wear all day opening & closing the vents as necessary. I don't think it'd be a good belay jacket as
-its a smock, not a jacket & thus not so easy to put on/take off
- designed to close fitting
- very voluminous in a sac

As for above comments on not being waterproof, its designed to keep you warm & comfortable but you have to accept that you'll be a bit damp in heavy rain (bit like a wetsuit won't keep you dry but you'll be warm)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.