/ Fingerboard recommendation please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
lordchoc - on 04 Oct 2012
I've only been climbing (indoor) for few months, but want to get a bit more strength in my fingers/arms and was thinking of installing a fingerboard at home. What's good for a someone of my level (I can just about get up a '5')? Thanks.
antdav - on 04 Oct 2012
Boulder some more and look at finger boards in 6 months. Sounds a bit too soon on the tendons and you should be able to get up a lot of 6a's and b's without any finger strength but by using technique.
phildavies84 - on 04 Oct 2012
In reply to lordchoc: Just climb as much as you can at the moment. General advice seems to be that you should have been climbing a few years before starting to fingerboard. You could get a pullup bar, but at this stage it probably more beneficial to climb a lot, watch other people climbing and develop technique. Strength isnt the only limiting factor.
PeterJuggler - on 04 Oct 2012
In reply to lordchoc: As others have said, it's better just to climb to begin with, but if you really want to train at home then I would go for the Beastmaker 1000. It has some jugs for doing pull-ups and is made of wood so doesn't destroy your skin. It's suitable for people climbing 5a and up.
lordchoc - on 04 Oct 2012
Thanks for all the advice. Good to see it's all roughly the same. Will hold off the fingerboard for now.
Paul Crusher R - on 08 Oct 2012
In reply to lordchoc: Getting yourself a pull up bar is good idea for sure, mix that up with some core.. sit ups, pressups, planks.. fingerboards are definately a good idea after a good few months in once your fingers are starting to develop strength. That said it depends on your age as well, much less than 16 and its worth holding off.. a bit of info here to read for some ideas for the future..

http://www.pdf-archive.com/2011/08/04/crusher-holds-handout-3-5mb/
ads.ukclimbing.com
matejn - on 08 Oct 2012
In reply to Paul R: To the mix of all this exercises I would add a kettlebell trainning as well. Kettlebells will develope your forearms, grip strenght ,endurance and explosiveness like nothing else. As far as fingerbord goes I´m using 3D Simulator from Metolius and it is grate.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.