UKC

Requiem For a Troll

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hillcrawler 04 Oct 2012
Hello, I posted a while back about advice for Ben Nevis, when the thread discussion disintegrated with much bile coming from a suspected troll called Big Rocks. I meant to do an update after so many people kindly advised but my first attempt on BN was certainly an adventure.
The comments of the troll Big Rocks stuck in my head so I left my iPhone at home...

I must say that the route was very physically challenging. The bracken on CMD is tough to navigate in summer, and there are many narrow streams hidden underneath.

Some observations:

The route is treacherous in parts, specifically along the arete, especially if it becomes engulfed in cloud. You will need a lot of liquids to rehydrate along the way. Cloud can sweep in unexpectedly, even on a sunny day. In high summer, the north face of Ben Nevis has a coating of snow at the higher levels. You may not have mobile phone connectivity...it is easy to sprain an ankle in the bracken or on the loose shingle. Do not expect a nicely worn path on CMD, you will have to find your own way up. There will be likely very few people or nobody there, so you better have everything you need with you.

I certainly would not recommend this route for someone to just "have a go".
As I said, it was an adventure. And that said, in hindsight sometimes trolls actually have something to say!

Hillcrawler 04 Oct 2012
In reply to Hillcrawler:

PS Is it possible to post photos here?
 toad 04 Oct 2012
In reply to Hillcrawler:
> (In reply to Hillcrawler)
>
> PS Is it possible to post photos here?

http://www.ukclimbing.com/photos/help.html

it's all there

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...