UKC

Gordon Stainforth - Fiva talk this Saturday

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
premier post photo
GORDON STAINFORTH - FIVA: AN ADVENTURE THAT WENT WRONG
Oundle Festival of Literature
7.30pm Saturday October 6, 2012
Queen Victoria Hall, Oundle
£7

Writer, photographer, film editor and philosopher Gordon Stainforth will be giving an illustrated talk about his new book, Fiva: An Adventure That Went Wrong, which tells the epic true story of a near-death experience on a mountain in Norway in 1969.

Fiva (pronounced 'Fever') is Gordon's first foray into literature and has been receiving rave reviews from top-class mountaineers and readers on Amazon alike. It has just been short-listed for the two top awards for mountaineering literature: the Boardman-Tasker Prize and the Banff Mountain Book Prize (to be announced in November).

Joe Simpson, best-selling author of Touching the Void has described it as a "wonderful, nostalgic, gripping, classic epic yarn with great humour, that deserves to win many many awards. Read it " And Stephen Venables, author of Higher than the Eagle Soars has said: "[Fiva is] the most intelligent disaster story to appear for years."

Not wishing to give too much of the story away for anyone who hasn't read the book, Gordon will also be talking about his early climbing career leading up to the Fiva epic, with many original images and even some Super-8 movie film taken at the time. He will also talk about his 40th anniversary return trip to Romsdal in 2009, which gave him the idea of writing the book.

Tickets and further information:

http://www.oundlelitfest.org.uk/programme-of-events/?skip=0#166
In reply to Gordon Stainforth: Bump...I'll be there, come and say hello if you are too
 JohnnyW 08 Oct 2012
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

Would love to, but it's a bit far from up here - Gordon, please do a Scottish event!
In reply to JohnnyW:

It's quite possible that I'll be doing a further lecture tour in the spring, and may come to Scotland, but for various reasons the schedule this year cannot be expanded.
 JohnnyW 08 Oct 2012
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

Thanks, hope you can.
 Jamie Hageman 10 Oct 2012
In reply to JohnnyW: Me too. Come to Scotland Gordon!
In reply to Jamie Hageman:

It's looking very likely after Saturday. Nearly twice as many people turned up at Oundle than we expected.
 Doug 11 Oct 2012
In reply to Gordon Stainforth: Slightly of topic, but I was in Edinburgh yesterday on a very quick visit back to Scotland (a funeral) and went into Waterstones on Princes Street & asked for Fiva, not being sure in which section it would be (travel, biography, sport ?). Unfortunately not in stock, and the salesman told me that the only branch which did have in stock was Derby (where they have 10 copies).

So I guess I'll have to order it from one of those websites.
In reply to Doug:

Well, I was led to believe that it was in far more branches of Waterstones than that. Will investigate. Thanks for telling me.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...