UKC

B3 Boots (Scarpa Cumbre) in Touring Bindings?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 timf 04 Oct 2012

Here's a question that I'm sure has been asked hundreds of times but I could really do with the answer;

Can touring bindings be fitted to work with B3 climbing boots, in particular Scarpa Cumbres? If so, which ones?

Many thanks,
 OwenM 04 Oct 2012
In reply to timf: You can get mountain boots into old 404's but you'll have little or no control, no forward cant and they wont release as the boots are to soft and bendy. Not a good idea.
 Aly 04 Oct 2012
In reply to timf: To second the previous poster, you can (google Silvretta bindings, Spantiks will also fit into some Fritschi bindings) but trust me, you don't want to - climb in Ski boots instead.
In reply to timf:

Cumbre's would probably be too soft, as previous posters have stated- but you see a lot of people using approach skis on chunkier mountain boots (spantiks etc) to access routes in the alps in winter and spring. Don't write off the idea, but as Aly has said, climbing in ski touring boots is pretty easy but skiing in climbing boots is pretty hard.

HTH,

Will
Shearwater 05 Oct 2012
You can, I just don't think you'd want to. I believe Jon Griffith of this parish occasionally skis in Spantiks on little Hagan approach skis and what I think might have been Silvretta 404 bindings. He's pretty good though and presumably gets in a lot of practise. I'd much rather save up and get lightweight ski mountaineering type boots and dynafits, myself.

B3 boots should work okay in snowboard bindings, so if you ever took up splitboarding you'd have better luck
 Doug 05 Oct 2012
In reply to timf: you can, but might not want to. If you search on this site you'll find several threads about using climbing boots for skiing with varied opinions. For what its worth I used to ski with Koflach Ultras & Silvretta 400s & found it OK - others don't
 Gael Force 05 Oct 2012
In reply to Doug: As Doug says I did this to, it does take a lot of practice. I don't use ski boots only ski mountaineering boots so was probably easier for me.
 johno072 21 Nov 2012
In reply to timf: there are a number of issues to consider not least of which is the terrain you intend to ski (down) and your technique, skiing is fast and can get you into trouble quickly! B3's will be 'soft' in relation to ski boots so the potential for your foot to turn in the boot and the boot not release from the binding is significant, even an innocuous slow twisting fall could cause a fractured foot. Shorter skis reduce leverage on the foot at the expense of control so maybe a good choice. Be aware that the forces generated by the leverage of a ski may be too much for a plastic climbing boot, Scarpa warn against using Omega's and I've seen old Koflachs shatter in the cold during a skiing fall!
sdjhayes 22 Nov 2012
In reply to johno072: More likely you will snap a Tib or Fib using a Cumbre... The release from a binding that will be capable of taking this boot will be inadequate at best - no toe release coupled with inadequate ankle support will direct all of the force to those rather weak bones in your lower leg... Ouch!!
Get a basic 2 or 3 clip ski touring boot - it won't be any worse to walk in than the Cumbre (which is awfull compared to modern B3 boots - the sole is too stiff and way too flat), and will climb just as well if not better...
It really is not a good idea to get this wrong - people do the most stupid things and 'get away with it' - when you don't get away with it, it feels pretty stupid being carried off the hill or worse case being flown off the hill

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...