UKC

Where to go snowholing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Roberttaylor 04 Oct 2012
I've never stayed a night in a snowhole and want to get some practice in. Where would people recommend I go? Ideally somewhere that gets a lot of reliable snow.

Must be accessible by train and a walk from Glasgow.

Robert
 Nigel Modern 04 Oct 2012
In reply to Roberttaylor: I'll be interested in the replies to this too...somewhere up round the Ben I'd guess but in good conditions nearly anywhere is my guess. I suspect it's more about the right sort of snow conditions.
 elsewhere 04 Oct 2012
In reply to Nigel Modern:
I think you can get a bus to Arrochar and I think the Cobbler south peak traps the snow in a hollow but we did a snow hole on Ben Ime.
 Ron Walker 04 Oct 2012
In reply to Roberttaylor:

On the lee (sheltered) side of anywhere high (or low) that's had a lot of snow and wind, bearing in mind the avalanche risk....
NE facing hollows and gullies are fairly reliable.
The Ben Nevis, Meggy, Cairngorm plateau areas are the most reliable.
Up here near Aviemore, I can usually snowhole most winters on the hills outside my house at around 400 to 600 metres.
Go to the Cairngorm......
 StuDoig 05 Oct 2012
If you like plenty of neighbours, Corie Raibeirt or Corie Domhain on Cairngorm reliably accumulate snow but are well known and used by groups. Though this does give the opportunity to find a ready made hole.

We've dug one out (5 man) on the side of Creggan a' Choire Etchachan near where the path up from the hutchie levels out.

Both of the above definately accessibly by train, bus and walking.

look for scoops and bowls high up, cairngorms do tend to be good for them and pretty reliable (for Scotland!!).

I'd avoid anything like gullies as potential for avalanch or suddenly and unexpectedly finding yourslef joined by skiers, walkers etc is much higher!!

Cheers,

Stuart

I recall the first snowhole I built with a mate near Bardonnechia, high up on Jafferau.

We dug a fairly narrow but long entrance tunnel. Bad move.

It snowed heavily overnight and because the entrance tunnel was so small we didn't have enough room to dig ourselves out effectively.

After taking turns to lie our backs and bellies to dig, we eventually got out after about 2 hours

That said, snowboarding back down the empty mountain from about 2,800m in waist deep powder in the warming glow of sunrise is still one of the most memorable moments of my life so far.

Have fun!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...