ROCKTALK forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Sgurr Thearlaich

Kevin Woods - on 09 Oct 2012
Did a bunch of the Cuillin a couple days ago, Sgurr nan Eag to the Pinn. It was my first time in the range altogether and my mind is completely blown. There was a lot more walking than I expected, but eeks it's rough.

Anyway, traversed Thearlaich from Alasdair to Mhic Choinnich and it's this section with the abbing that I wanted to know what other people had done or advise.

My confusion comes because all the route descriptions seem to mention one abseil.

After the initial rooftop section off the summit, we were quite close to Choinnich, and came to a cliff edge. There was some ab tat scattered around, but not actually wrapped around anything. The only abseil blocks appeared broken and a bit unstable. To the right (east) side there was a slab sloping downward, rooftop like. We downclimbed it with a belay, a short, slabby, maybe Mod? Felt more technical than normal, especially with a long drop to Coruisg at the end. This brought us to the continuation of the ridge.

On for 30-40m we were nearly right beneath Choinnich, and arrived at what seems to be the real abseil. So we abbed this, all was fine.

But that top bit with the sloping slab confuses me - has an ab anchor broken, is it solo'ed, pitched, ... etc.
... not showing 32 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.
ads.ukclimbing.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums