UKC

SPD/clip in pedals?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andy Mountains 09 Oct 2012
I have just bought a 3 month old B'Twin Triban 5 as my first road bike. Having come from a MTBing background, and having been MTBing since before spd pedals became popular, I never really took to them. I tried a couple of different types 'back in the day', but went back to flatties which I still use on the MTB to this day.
Now this road bike I've bought has a pair of Shimano Ultegra carbon pedals (doesn't mean much to me) fitted, and I don't have any shoes for cleats etc.. So should I swap the pedals for some 'normal' non clip in types for now, or go out and spend yet more money on the right shoes/cleats?
I am picking up tomorrow!! Can't wait!
 balmybaldwin 09 Oct 2012
In reply to Andy Mountains:

The improvement in power is worth the investment in shoes. It does take a while to get used to them, but it really is a no brainer for road cycling. For MTB I am a full convert on anything other than technical downhill stuff, but it is much more understandable to use flatties
 balmybaldwin 09 Oct 2012

P.s. the cleats will come with the pedals, so you just need some shoes: something like: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-r10-road-cycling-shoe/ will do, although fit is important so try a few pairs of different makes on
In reply to balmybaldwin:

Sexy shoes! ;>)

I hope they do come with the cleats. Mind you I suppose you can buy replacement cleats yes?
 Guy 09 Oct 2012
In reply to Andy Mountains: yes, cleats are about £15 if they don't come with the bike. Is the bike new? If not new then I would guess the cleats will still be on the sellers shoes!
 Steve John B 09 Oct 2012
In reply to balmybaldwin:
> (In reply to Andy Mountains)
>
> P.s. the cleats will come with the pedals, so you just need some shoes: something like: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-r10-road-cycling-shoe/ will do, although fit is important so try a few pairs of different makes on

These do come up a bit small - I'm size 9 in normal shoes and trainers but needed a 45 in DHBs. I bought 44 and 45 to check and the 44s were way too small.
 Davvers 09 Oct 2012

I've got that bike, only had it a couple of months. I changed the pedals for the short term, but want to go back to the clip ins.

I really wanted shoes more like the mountain bike shoes instead of the full on roady shoes, so I was thinking of getting different clip ins anyway.

Mine didn't come with the cleats! I'll ask the shop about that...

subalpine 09 Oct 2012
In reply: can anyone recommend a cheap spd walking shoe? i remember some very cheap ones at lidl once. how about the shimano mt33?
 Martin W 09 Oct 2012
In reply to subalpine:
> can anyone recommend a cheap spd walking shoe? i remember some very cheap ones at lidl once.

They still get them in a couple of times a year when they have their "cycling events". So do Aldi - in fact their last one was just a couple of weeks back; I bought myself a pair of all-velcro clipless-compatible cycling shoes for £20. There might be some left in a few stores, although I believe they do tend to go quite quickly.
 balmybaldwin 09 Oct 2012

Rememeber the OP's pedals are SPD-sl, not SPD, and not all shoes will take both types of cleat.

"Walking" type shoes with tread tend to only take SPD (i.e. MTB type) cleats

I think I'll be selling those pedals then. Really don't want to go down the road bike shoes look if I can help it. (No offence)
 brokenbanjo 09 Oct 2012

Chav Sports, I mean Sports Direct, do cheap cycling shoes that seem to be of a reasonable quality. May be worth looking at them?
 IMA 09 Oct 2012

If you want shoes, check out wiggles own, Ddb? I tried two different pairs from Sports Direct and neither were great and both warped with the 2 point spd pedals when unclipping, they may be better with your good pedals as its a different cleat. Otherwise my knowledge is all stolen from bike radar being a newbie to road cycling. I started with some flat and spd pedals on a borrow bike until I was sure I liked the sport, it worked fine. However I know is I find it easier with clip on pedals due to the upward pull and not having to reposition my foot. Be aware you will fall with your bike once or twice as you learn to unclip or forget to focus when unclipping.
Wonko The Sane 09 Oct 2012
In reply to Andy Mountains: Sorry to hijack, I have started riding again every day and I'm developing a pain in my right knee, on the inside just above the joint. It was there before when I was cycling more. I am convinced it's the clips are a bit off, any idea if this is common or which way to turn it?
 blurty 09 Oct 2012
In reply to subalpine:

What size are you? I have some MT33s. They are completely crap though - you can have them for the cost of postage if they're any good to you. (I'm a 46)

I bought some Mavic alpines for £60 from CRC I think - they are miles better
 subalpine 09 Oct 2012
In reply to blurty:
> (In reply to subalpine)
>
> What size are you? I have some MT33s. They are completely crap though - you can have them for the cost of postage if they're any good to you. (I'm a 46)

i'm usually about a 9 but i've heard they are small for their size?
do you think they will fit me? very kind offer- i'll give you more than postage..
In reply to blurty:
> (In reply to subalpine)
>
> What size are you? I have some MT33s. They are completely crap though - you can have them for the cost of postage if they're any good to you. (I'm a 46)
>

I'm a 46 also. Can I have them (if he doesn't of course)

Talius Brute 10 Oct 2012

Get a pair of these: http://www.rapha.cc/grand-tour-shoes

In reply to Talius Brute:
> (In reply to Andy Mountains)
>
> Get a pair of these: http://www.rapha.cc/grand-tour-shoes
>
> ...

Sexy AND cheap!!
 Tricky Dicky 10 Oct 2012
>>
> Sexy AND cheap!!

Bargain at £300 and they're made from Yak leather!!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...