UKC

OI NEWS: VIDEO: Mountain Equipment Eclipse Hooded Zip Tee

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 10 Oct 2012
Mountain Equipment Eclipse Hooded Zip Tee #1, 3 kbA close fitting hooded Zip Tee that provides the optimum base or mid layer for winter and alpine climbing.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/news.php?id=4963
 TobyA 10 Oct 2012
In reply to UKC Gear: I'm not that easily impressed but that looks very cool. It will make you look somehow like a lego ninja, which can only be a good thing.
 chris_s 10 Oct 2012
In reply to TobyA:

Looks a great piece. So good I'd put money on it being discontinued next year.
Rich @ ME 10 Oct 2012
In reply to chris_s:

So good I'd put money on it being discontinued next year.

How much?

Rich
Mountain Equipment
 edinburgh_man 10 Oct 2012
In reply to Rich @ ME:

I can't imagine where the "inspiration" for this came from!

An improvement on the original? Well, the face coverage looks better and it is cheaper.

This is the first ME product for a couple of years that I've thought about actually buying (apart from a Snowline down bag).

Good design, good product.

lithos 10 Oct 2012
looks great, but the fit is key so i need to try one on
 TobyA 10 Oct 2012
In reply to chris_s:

> Looks a great piece. So good I'd put money on it being discontinued next year.

Nah, everyone one wants a hooded microfleece these days even if they never wear the hood! Andy K's blog on the wonders of R1 Hoody has a lot to answer for (in a good way)!
 Cameron94 10 Oct 2012
In reply to UKC Gear: Apart from having zoned body panels it's very close to the berghaus smoulder! Intresting to see what people think.
 m8tey 10 Oct 2012
In reply to UKC Gear: In reply to UKC Gear: Had one for a bit and seems great measures up well against my R1's and Lowe Alpine Stealth . The fabric is lighter weight than the R1 so should probably get a longer seasonal use out of it although it feels a bit less 'robust'and a little more 'snug' >> 'Used to always lose hats till the advent of hoodies'
 Reach>Talent 10 Oct 2012
In reply to Rich @ ME:
Looks really good, although I'm not having a lot of luck finding an XXL in stock anywhere. How do these size up?

chris_s 10 Oct 2012
In reply to Rich @ ME:

Just £1 then

Will be buying one of these to replace my worn-out - and discontinued - Berghaus Smoulder hoody.
Rich @ ME 10 Oct 2012
In reply to Reach>Talent: I'm afraid we only go up to an XL in the Eclipse. They're designed to be pretty close fitting, to give you an idea I'm wearing a large in the video, I'm 6ft and a fairly standard climbing build and find it perfect worn over just a thin wicking T-shirt.

Rich
Mountain Equipment
 Reach>Talent 10 Oct 2012
In reply to Rich @ ME:
Ah, I'm 6'8" and built like a gibbon. May well be a non-starter
 Euge 11 Oct 2012
In reply to chris_s:
> (In reply to Rich @ ME)
>
> Just £1 then
>
> Will be buying one of these to replace my worn-out - and discontinued - Berghaus Smoulder hoody.

Wonder why they discontinued them... I have one and it is an amazing piece of kit.

E
 moo cow 13 Oct 2012
In reply to TobyA: I've had one of these since July/August and its nothing like an R1. As I haven't over heated in it! I love the R1 but it was too hot even when it was -25c. this however is comfy, really comfy. Job well done ME. Hood is belting.
 thedatastream 15 Oct 2012
It's an "Eclipse" but the review text frequently references "Shadow" and not Eclipse - reference to the rather awesome Rab Shadow Hoodie perhaps given that it does the same thing only with a different logo?
 Fraser 15 Oct 2012
In reply to thedatastream:

> ...the rather awesome Rab Shadow Hoodie perhaps given that it does the same thing only with a different logo?

A-hah, but this one has a squinty zip!

Rich @ ME 15 Oct 2012
In reply to thedatastream:This is my mistake, thanks for pointing it out. The text was written when the Eclipse was still at prototype stage under the working name of 'Shadow', this was obviously changed when we realised there was another product with the same name but I clearly missed a couple of edits! The similarity between the two products doesn't go far beyond the fact they both have a hood, try them on and you'll see that they're very different bits of kit.

Rich
Mountain Equipment
ire 23 Oct 2012
In reply to UKC Gear: Looks like a great product - only downside is, I can't find one in Manchester - Even the ME shop doesn't have any! I'd like to try one on before I buy.
 iksander 13 Dec 2012
In reply to Euge: >>Will be buying one of these to replace my worn-out - and discontinued - Berghaus Smoulder hoody.

>Wonder why they discontinued them... I have one and it is an amazing piece of kit.

Amen. I've been through just about every microfleece, powerstretch, powerdry etc. hoody there is and Smoulder II is the best so far. And I do wear the hood a lot, and yes I do look like I'm about to be fired from a cannon.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...