UKC

Getting photos off my G12 and onto my iPad

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Neil Foster Global Crag Moderator 10 Oct 2012
At home I have a PC. I download photos from my G12 using Canon Camera Window. When I close Camera Window, Zoombrowser opens automatically, but I tend to close this, and then use Picasa to view and edit my photos.

So, I am now on holiday, and I have my iPad with me. Can anyone recommend equivalent software to get my photos onto my iPad? I only want to view them and perhaps create slide shows of selected shots. I'm not interested in uploading to web albums or any such shenanigans. I've got as far as finding and installing the iPad equivalent to Camera Window, but no further!

Also, what lead do I need to transfer the shots?

Thanks

Neil
 Reach>Talent 10 Oct 2012
In reply to Neil Foster:
I think you'll need a pc because as far as I'm aware a stock ipad doesn't support USB hosting so you can't plug a card reader or camera into it.
 manumartin 10 Oct 2012
In reply to Neil Foster: hi
I have used the Apple ipad camera connection kit for 18 months with an ipad2. I remove the sd card from my rigoh grd3 camera, put it into the dedicated card reader and slot into the side af the ipad. Automatically, the ipad asks me if I want to transfer etc. The connection is the same as the usual ipad charging synch cable. The kit also comes with a usb adapter but i have never used that. I have read some good and not so good reviews but personally, for viewing and editing on the go, I have had no problems. I have emailed photos via wifi just minutes after taking them.
I do not think you can transfer back to the ipad. You are given the option to keep originals on the sd card after the transfer has taken place. I was with a group of students in Saas Fee last week and i took their sd cards and we viewed their pics on the hill instantly on the ipad.
Please get back to me if you need any further info.

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MC531ZM/A/apple-ipad-camera-connection-ki...

manumartin 10 Oct 2012
In reply to Neil Foster: ps
if your camera has a usb power function, make sure it is turned off.( mine was under memory card settings)
 manumartin 10 Oct 2012
In reply to Neil Foster: a good app for video is pinnacle studio
for photos i use snapspeed or photogene.
their websites or the app store will have more info
OP Neil Foster Global Crag Moderator 10 Oct 2012
In reply to manumartin:

Thanks Martin - that's very helpful.

> I do not think you can transfer back to the ipad.

Did you mean, back to the camera, Martin?

So, that seems to sort getting them onto the iPad. Now can someone recommend an app I can install, with similar functionality to Picasa?

Thanks

Neil
OP Neil Foster Global Crag Moderator 10 Oct 2012
In reply to Neil Foster:

Our posts crossed there Martin...
 manumartin 10 Oct 2012
In reply to Neil Foster: yes i meant back to the sd card, sorry!
 bigpad 11 Oct 2012
In reply to Neil Foster:

ipad = a waste of money

this is a perfect example, enjoy spending more money on getting an adapter that will take your card.
In reply to Neil Foster:

I've a G11 and have more problems getting shots on to a PC than on to an iPad.

There's the SD reader manumartin mentioned to get the shots on to the iPad. For editing I have pdexpress and photopad - either will let me do basic adjustments - can't remember if they are free apps though.

Here's Apple's support notes for getting the images from the iPad to Mac or PC - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4083

ALC
In reply to Reach>Talent:

I suggest you read up on what the Apple 30 pin connector actually *is* and what it extends.

ALC
 ChrisJD 11 Oct 2012
In reply to Neil Foster:

Its typical Apple lock down

Why I went for a tablet with USB, SD, micro SD & micro HDMI ports. Can easily attach what storage that I want to my device (inc usb hard drives), not dictated by the arbitrary whims of the manufacturer

The lack of USB on ipad devices is a deliberate act by Apple to restrict users.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...