UKC

Removing mesh from my jacket.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bloodfire 11 Oct 2012
I have an old Lowe Alpine Flash Jacket which works perfectly but has been replaced due to its weight for something much lighter.

I'm now using fit for commuting to work but wondering whether anyone has ever removed the mesh liner and snow skirt from the inside in an attempt to make it more lighter and compact and more importantly, will this have an adverse effect on the waterproofness and breathability of the jacket.
 danm 11 Oct 2012
In reply to Bloodfire:

The mesh as far as I know is there for 2 reasons - to protect the membrane underneath, and to wick moisture so that it can pass through the membrane more readily. If you cut it off it'll probably make a noticeable difference to the breathability, and I guess the membrane will become damaged more easily as well.
 gear boy 11 Oct 2012
In reply to Bloodfire: the only thing the mesh does is masks the condensation on the inside of the jacket so while it will not effect the breathability, it will effect what you feel, or as i call it "perceived breathabilty" the jacket doesnt change just the fact that now you will notice the clammyness more
OP Bloodfire 11 Oct 2012
In reply to Bloodfire: Thanks guys, I might stick to keeping it as weight isn't too much of an issue on my way to work... having a snow skirt on a bicycle... thats another issue!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...