UKC

FA of Eiger North Face - Who do they give it to?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
CorneliusVS 12 Oct 2012
Assuming they strip Heckmair et al. of their first ascent, who do they give it to?
 Hat Dude 12 Oct 2012
In reply to CorneliusVS:

Blimey was Al on the 1st ascent? I knew he was old but
CorneliusVS 12 Oct 2012
In reply to Hat Dude: Are you being facetious, or do you really have no knowledge of the basics of Latin?
 PebblePusher 12 Oct 2012
In reply to CorneliusVS:

Have I missed something? Why would they strip Heckmair and pals of their ascent?
 Hat Dude 12 Oct 2012
In reply to CorneliusVS:

Me rediculus
 Rory Shaw 12 Oct 2012
In reply to PebblePusher: they were on drugs
 wilkie14c 12 Oct 2012
In reply to Rory Shaw:
> (In reply to PebblePusher) they were on drugs

Thats quite a lot of grit hardball routes that wont count then
 Rory Shaw 12 Oct 2012
In reply to blanchie14c: I'm sure there are plenty in llanberis slate quarries as well! That could be a whole new thread - hardest ascents under the influence
 The New NickB 12 Oct 2012
In reply to CorneliusVS:
> Assuming they strip Heckmair et al. of their first ascent, who do they give it to?

I haven't got a copy of the alpine climbing rule book from 1938, which rules did the break.
 wilkie14c 12 Oct 2012
In reply to The New NickB: who are 'they' anyway? Who gives a f*ck anyhow, we all know which team did it first and to be honest you'd need to be on drugs to get on the wall with that gear!
 Al Evans 12 Oct 2012
In reply to CorneliusVS: Where did this come from? Why would they strip Heckmair et al of the first ascent?
 Coel Hellier 12 Oct 2012
In reply to Al Evans:

> Where did this come from? Why would they strip Heckmair et al of the first ascent?

I presume the thread is re Lance Armstrong.
 Rory Shaw 12 Oct 2012
In reply to Al Evans: yes i think its tongue in cheek with ref to lance armstrong
 The New NickB 12 Oct 2012
In reply to blanchie14c:

Yes, it is idiotic. A reference to Armstrong the Cheat, but still idiotic.
In reply to Rory Shaw:
> (In reply to PebblePusher) they were on drugs

What drugs were they on, Heckmair and the others?
 wilkie14c 12 Oct 2012
In reply to Coel Hellier: Ahh I see
So 'they' are gonna say no body won those races. Do 'they' think the public a idiots? Obviously! We all know who won and even if he was erased from memory the guys who came second won. You can't say no body won, its just daft
 Bruce Hooker 12 Oct 2012
In reply to CorneliusVS:

There are no rules about using drugs for climbing, you can do as you will. Personally I'd say climbing under the influence is risky but it could be because I don't know how to use drugs - chewing coca leaves seems to help Bolivian Indians at altitude, might be worth a try.
 Al Evans 12 Oct 2012
In reply to blanchie14c: I guess in that case they could strip Hilary and Tensing for the first ascent of everest because they used bottled oxygen.
In reply to Sir Stefan:
> (In reply to Rory Shaw)
> [...]
>
> What drugs were they on, Heckmair and the others?

Yeah anyone know what drugs as i don't remember reading about it in The White Spider?
 Rob Exile Ward 12 Oct 2012
In reply to Sebastian Fontleroy:Yeah but you don't read much there about Harrer having the hots for <<Godwin Filter>> either, do you?!
Bellie 12 Oct 2012
In reply to Sir Stefan:
> (In reply to Rory Shaw)
> [...]
>
> What drugs were they on, Heckmair and the others?

Powerful liquid painkiller (administered after an accident)... one of them drank the rest of the bottle because they were so thirsty. The instructions were for a few drops in case of extreme pain.

Or something like that.
NEClimber 12 Oct 2012
In reply to Bellie: In a programme on bbc4, 'Eiger:Wall Of Death'(?) I believe they claimed it was strong amphetamine. I don't think it was anything illegal, not that it matters anyway.
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

No, You don't. You've obviously read more on the matter than me. Any suggested reading?
Removed User 12 Oct 2012
In reply to CorneliusVS: eems like a lot of Reaburns winter ascents (green gully, NE Butress etc.) done when moderately wrecked on coca leaves. Guess they should be struck out of the record books then.
 Rob Exile Ward 12 Oct 2012
In reply to Rob Exile Ward: Actually, I don't like this thread much. Equating Heckmair with Armstrong is just cr*p.

The OP hasn't much of a sense of humour either.
NEClimber 12 Oct 2012
In reply to NEClimber:
Just realised Im sat next to my copy of The White Spider :
'Just then a little phial of heart drops came to hand in the first aid bag. That devoted woman Dr Belart of Grindelwald had made me take it along in case of emergency, remarking :"If Toni Kurz had only had them along, he might even have survived his ordeal".
We were only supposed to use them in the direst need though.
On the bottle it said "ten drops". I simply poured half of it into Wiggerls mouth and drank the rest, as I happened to be thirsty. We followed it up with a couple of glucose lozenges, and were soon in proper order again."
The White Spider, Heinrich Harrer (1995) P120
Brilliant story and if not for the drugs it may never have been told.
NEClimber 12 Oct 2012
In reply to Rob Exile Ward: Have to agree. No comparison!
 Thelongcon 13 Oct 2012
In reply to CorneliusVS:
> (In reply to Hat Dude) Are you being facetious, or do you really have no knowledge of the basics of Latin?

I've no knowledge, where is the error?
 butteredfrog 13 Oct 2012
In reply to NEClimber:

Heart drops:- Liquid Amphetamine
 Coel Hellier 13 Oct 2012
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

> Actually, I don't like this thread much. Equating Heckmair with Armstrong is just cr*p.

I took the OP as tounge-in-cheek.

Hermann Buhl's ascent of Nanga Parbat was another notable FA assisted by substances that you couldn't use in a cycle race.
 JamButty 13 Oct 2012
In reply to CorneliusVS:
> Assuming they strip Heckmair et al. of their first ascent, who do they give it to?

Well I laughed anyway, all the LA threads are getting repetitive
 Bruce Hooker 13 Oct 2012
In reply to Coel Hellier:
> (In reply to Rob Exile Ward)
>
> Hermann Buhl's ascent of Nanga Parbat was another notable FA assisted by substances that you couldn't use in a cycle race.

Then it's just as well that climbing is not an organised competitive sport like cycling, athletics, football, etc.

John Foster 13 Oct 2012
In reply to JamButty:
> (In reply to CorneliusVS)
> [...]
>
> Well I laughed anyway, all the LA threads are getting repetitive

Me too. Full marks to the OP.
 wilkie14c 13 Oct 2012
In reply to butteredfrog:
> (In reply to NEClimber)
>
> Heart drops:- Liquid Amphetamine

So really they pre-dated Steck's speed accent many some considerable years
 Robert Durran 13 Oct 2012
> Hermann Buhl's ascent of Nanga Parbat was another notable FA assisted by substances that you couldn't use in a cycle race.

Those caffeine capsules people sometimes use to stay awake on big summit pushes would probably also get you banned. In fact, come to think of it, the amount of coffee I drank to fuel my last bouldering session......
In reply to blanchie14c:
> (In reply to butteredfrog)
>
> So really they pre-dated Steck's speed accent many some considerable years.

That's just the fact that he's foreign; nothing to do with drugs.

tony 13 Oct 2012
> (In reply to Rob Exile Ward)
>
> [...]
>
> I took the OP as tounge-in-cheek.
>

And I'm fairly sure that Maurice Herzog used amphetamines on Annapurna.
 wilkie14c 13 Oct 2012
In reply to Robert Durran: 'speed' accent, amphetamine/speed
In reply to blanchie14c:
> (In reply to Robert Durran) 'speed' accent, amphetamine/speed

speed ascent/foreign accent......never mind....

wilkie14c 13 Oct 2012
In reply to Robert Durran:
Ah haa! double word play
 Ian Parsons 13 Oct 2012
In reply to blanchie14c:

Puns are like that - you wait for ages and then two come along at once....
 Billhook 13 Oct 2012
In reply to CorneliusVS:

Wouldn't they have to strip hundreds, if not thousands of climbers after claiming 1st accents fuelled whilst still full of alcohol after a night in the pub???
 wilkie14c 13 Oct 2012
In reply to Dave Perry:
> (In reply to CorneliusVS)
>
> Wouldn't they have to strip hundreds, if not thousands of climbers after claiming 1st accents fuelled whilst still full of alcohol after a night in the pub???

thats the beauty of climbing, completely unregulated and nobody can take anything away from any of us :-D
 Billhook 14 Oct 2012
In reply to blanchie14c:
exactly!! It can't be done.
 GrahamD 15 Oct 2012
In reply to Al Evans:

Blimey, Al, adding oxygen to the list of banned substances in sport is a bit harsh !
 Al Evans 15 Oct 2012
In reply to GrahamD: It was, sort of, a joke.
 flaneur 16 Oct 2012
In reply to butteredfrog:
> (In reply to NEClimber)
>
> Heart drops:- Liquid Amphetamine

You're not suggesting this guy has just come down from a Speed binge are you? Doesn't look that way at all!
http://wspinanie.pl/serwis/200902/20eiger4_heckmair.jpg
 Chris Sansum 16 Oct 2012
In reply to CorneliusVS:

Guess they'll have to strip Jim Perrin of his Coronation Street solo too.
 nniff 16 Oct 2012
In reply to Chris Sansum:

And is Amanita Muscarina cancelled completely?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...