/ Which phone for Strava?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Batcloud - on 15 Oct 2012

Time to upgrade old Symbian os phone so would like one that will run Strava.

Will any Android/Iphone do the job?
MHutch - on 15 Oct 2012
In reply to Batcloud:

My Galaxy Ace cheapy seems OK, takes a while to pick up GPS signal at the start though.
steve taylor - on 15 Oct 2012
In reply to MHutch:

My cheapo HTC Wildfire S does the job fine. I've compared it with my Garmin and there's no real difference in times/distances etc.
Stone Muppet - on 15 Oct 2012
Almost any of them will run out of battery by the time you've done a decent length ride, though. Unless charged immediately beforehand.
yesbutnobutyesbut - on 15 Oct 2012
In reply to Batcloud: If you want to do long rides and upload to Strava buy a garmin.
vark - on 15 Oct 2012
In reply to Batcloud:
I use an iPhone 4. I've used it for rides of 4+ hours and the battery last fine. My mate has a waterproof case for his which attaches to his handlebars. This has an extra battery to extend the life. You can get an HRM strap which will link to the 4S but not the 4. I assume the 5 will also work.
lost1977 - on 15 Oct 2012
In reply to Stone Muppet:

iirc what you can do to save battery for very long rides is after stava knows where you are switch phone to flight mode leaving gps on
lost1977 - on 15 Oct 2012
In reply to Batcloud:

i use my galaxy arse for running strava
alanbill99 - on 15 Oct 2012
Hi,
I use an iPhone 4. It's an amazing Strava app (version 3).
You can explore all segments on the map direct from the phone, and view / comment on all your friends feeds whilst checking out segment leader boards etc. Clearly, you can upload at the end of rides too (signal permitting).
Battery life has improved massively in v3.0. I reckon you can get a 8 hour ride out of it now without any external battery gizmos. My battery is over 2 yrs old too. I have done a 4 hour ride and only gone down to 60%. Also - this battery life is with the screen switched OFF. Leaving the screen on (to check map / current speed etc) will drain your battery massively and you'll get just a few hours - so you'd need a Garmin if you want to view the screen etc.
Enjoy.
ads.ukclimbing.com
Batcloud - on 15 Oct 2012
In reply to Stone Muppet:
> Almost any of them will run out of battery by the time you've done a decent length ride, though. Unless charged immediately beforehand.

Thanks but it's more for having a go at shorter segments - not too bothered about using for long rides.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.