UKC

Starting to get out running again, but....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 pepperpot 18 Oct 2012
... I've turned into a fat wheezy kid.

I've started to get some regular exercise again after a year or so of sporadic days out on my bike, odd runs, and a few walks etc and I'm shocked as to how unfit I have become. Early last year I was doing regular 5 mile runs (9:30min/mile ish) and longer 10 milers with a pack at about 11min/mile. I loved it, even if the pace wasn't what you could call blistering. I've never had the notion of racing and it has always been about hill fitness, though perhaps a RAB MM may appeal one day.

I had Training for Peak Performance by Clyde Soles last Christmas which goes into a fair amount of detail on training zones based on heart rate reserve. When I'm out at the moment training in zones 3-4 (135 to 160bpm) I'm finding that I have to walk on most longer or steeper hills to stay below the upper limit. I know that over time this will get less and less, but its all a bit frustrating.

What would others out there suggest as the best tack? Stick to the zones or just man up and give it the beans up them 'ills!

PS bear in mind I'm becoming increasingly creaky since my 40th.
 The New NickB 18 Oct 2012
In reply to pepperpot:

Ignore the training zones, if you can run, run.
 Liam M 18 Oct 2012
In reply to The New NickB: I agree. At some points in the future you may have quite specific running targets and so put some structure and discipline into your training, and things like HR training zones could be useful. This doesn't sound like what you want at the moment though.

So just get out and enjoy it. A lot of sessions may effectively become fartleks, but if you feel like pushing up a hill do so, and if you blow up as long as you're not in some desolate nowhere, does it really matter? Just slowly building the distance up whilst finding routes and effort levels that suit your mood on that day will make it more likely that you'll do the session, and go out again next time. At this point, just run as you feel until so it doesn't become a chore.
 climber_medic 18 Oct 2012
In reply to pepperpot: Having had more and more injuries that take longer to heal the older I get I would say just get out there and enjoy running and the fitness will return. As for the Rab M.M, again just enter it and enjoy yourself as it isnt as bad as people make out.
 goatee 18 Oct 2012
In reply to pepperpot: Hi there, I didn't start running until I was a few years older than you and rest assured the fittness will come. My advice is push yourself as hard as you can, by that I mean forget about the heart rate monitor and listen to your body. When you feel you can run ..run when you have to walk .. walk. I now enter some marathons and adventure races. It always happens that when going uphill I overtake people who try to run steep bits and completely knacker themselves. If you walk as fast as you can and are still able to recover you will fly along the easier sections. Remember forty is the new thirty..at least thats the formula I use to give myself a lift. As I said the most important thing is Listen to your body and go for it.
Stephen
 Rollo 18 Oct 2012
In reply to pepperpot:

I broadly agree with what is being said: listen to your body.

BUT don't overlook the fact that tools (inc. HR) can help those of us that are a bit deaf to their body.

I for one started running and let it rip. I got several niggling injuries. I then did a really good block of slow stuff, plodding along, walking the hills etc. and used HR as a meadure to stop me getting carried away.

This helped stop me going over my limits and the injuries went away. Since then I have thrown the HR away as I find it resticting (mentally). But in the mean-time I have learned to listen to my body which I was incapable of doing before!

Great work getting out there, you will get better!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...