/ Belay device question

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
climber david - on 18 Oct 2012
Hi

I was climbing today and my partner noticed that my ATC XP had a sharp edge just inside the slot the rope runs in. I have a feeling it was caused by the carbiner bashing against it because its not the direction the rope running through it would cause. However I can't see how a carbiner would casue what happened here.

Its only a small burr so would I be alright just filing it down till its smooth or do I need to buy a new one.

Cheers

David
Jack B on 18 Oct 2012
In reply to climber david:

> Its only a small burr so would I be alright just filing it down till its smooth or do I need to buy a new one.
>

No-one can really answer that without seeing it, but it's almost certainly safe to file it smooth.

Scott_vzr on 18 Oct 2012
15 kwid is not worth your climbing partner's life, a sign of erosion or wear like this means BIN IT.

Be Safe

jimtitt - on 18 Oct 2012
There is a line around the inside of the slots from a slight mismatch on the forging tools, it´s visually annoying but doesn´t have any effect (apart from making one wonder over the current quality of the newer ATC XP compared to the earlier versions).
stujamo - on 18 Oct 2012
In reply to climber david: I've had something similar on my reverso,that matches up to my HMS,I just smoothed it down with sandpaper and look I out for it now.I know it's from the biner 'cos it only occurs on the slot that is used for a belaying with a single rope,and that is what it gets used for the vast majority of the time (indoors,Pah!)
scottie390 - on 19 Oct 2012
jesus mate, shit like this makes worry, just bin it cos i dont wanna read on here next week that you've killed someone over a £15 belay device.
blackreaver - on 19 Oct 2012
In reply to climber david: Post a picture?
ads.ukclimbing.com
climber david - on 19 Oct 2012

cheers for the help. will probably just file/sandpaper it down but keep a close eye on it and of it happens again I'll get a new one

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.