UKC

Belay device question

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 climber david 18 Oct 2012
Hi

I was climbing today and my partner noticed that my ATC XP had a sharp edge just inside the slot the rope runs in. I have a feeling it was caused by the carbiner bashing against it because its not the direction the rope running through it would cause. However I can't see how a carbiner would casue what happened here.

Its only a small burr so would I be alright just filing it down till its smooth or do I need to buy a new one.

Cheers

David
 Jack B 18 Oct 2012
In reply to climber david:

> Its only a small burr so would I be alright just filing it down till its smooth or do I need to buy a new one.
>

No-one can really answer that without seeing it, but it's almost certainly safe to file it smooth.

Nick_Scots 18 Oct 2012
15 kwid is not worth your climbing partner's life, a sign of erosion or wear like this means BIN IT.

Be Safe

jimtitt 18 Oct 2012
There is a line around the inside of the slots from a slight mismatch on the forging tools, it´s visually annoying but doesn´t have any effect (apart from making one wonder over the current quality of the newer ATC XP compared to the earlier versions).
 stujamo 18 Oct 2012
In reply to climber david: I've had something similar on my reverso,that matches up to my HMS,I just smoothed it down with sandpaper and look I out for it now.I know it's from the biner 'cos it only occurs on the slot that is used for a belaying with a single rope,and that is what it gets used for the vast majority of the time (indoors,Pah!)
 scottie390 19 Oct 2012
jesus mate, shit like this makes worry, just bin it cos i dont wanna read on here next week that you've killed someone over a £15 belay device.
 Alpenglow 19 Oct 2012
In reply to climber david: Post a picture?
OP climber david 19 Oct 2012

cheers for the help. will probably just file/sandpaper it down but keep a close eye on it and of it happens again I'll get a new one

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...