UKC

WW2 Swiss Ice Axe

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 widget 19 Oct 2012
Hopefully this is the correct place to post this.

I picked up a 1942 ice axe recently and was wondering how common these are to find? The wooden shaft is in very good nick and it has the following stamped on the side of the pick:

On one side:

Gerb. Andenmatten
Schweiz
Saas-Almagel

On the other side there is a small square and within it has: + arm (which I guess is the Swiss army mark?)

So I gather it must be from the Saas Almagel region of Switzerland. The only bit of information I cannot find much about is the Gerb. Andenmatten. Any information on this would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Tim
 Ian Parsons 19 Oct 2012
In reply to widget:

I suspect it's actually Gebr. - "Brothers" - rather than Gerb. Try googling Gebr Andenmatten - they made the Mischabel axe.
OP widget 19 Oct 2012
In reply to Ian Parsons: Thanks Ian, you are indeed correct, error made from quick typing! Will look into the Mischabel axe.
 Only a hill 19 Oct 2012
In reply to widget:
They're lovely axes and much rarer than the Stubai Aschenbrenner. I wouldn't like to guess a value, but it's worth holding on to if in reasonable condition. Don't 'restore' it unless you want to decrease the value!
OP widget 20 Oct 2012
In reply to Only a hill:

This is my dilemma, would love to take it back into the mountains this winter but that would require giving it a little sharpen. Seems a shame for it just to sit inside. So I think maybe its time to brush off the tweed...
 Only a hill 20 Oct 2012
In reply to widget:
If you're thinking about going down the 'restore and use' line, drop me a line ... I might have a few tips that will be of use.

Of course, you could always keep this one and find a cheap Stubai Aschenbrenner for tweedy adventures =) A 1950s vintage Aschenbrenner can usually be found on Ebay for about £40.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...