UKC

Getty images

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 shaun walby 19 Oct 2012
Getty contacted me they want to use several of my images on licence...now iam pleased they have looked through my work and want to use it commercially....but what does a commercial licence actually mean?

Do I retain copyright? Can I still sell my images on my website? Can I still enter images into comps? Can I still post mages to website such as UKC?

Would be very useful to hear from UKC toggers who have some of their images under licence to Getty....but all info welcome.

Thanks in advance

Shaun
 Enty 19 Oct 2012
In reply to shaun walby:

Good luck - they are utter shits.

Trying to sue me for 900€ for a 2cm x 3cm image in a website which was part of a template a friend downloaded.

http://www.independentcapitalmanagementscam.com/financial-services/getty-im...

E
 Enty 19 Oct 2012
In reply to shaun walby:

By the way your photos look amazing - surely you can make more dosh without them.

E
 Escher 19 Oct 2012
In reply to shaun walby:
> Getty contacted me they want to use several of my images on licence...now iam pleased they have looked through my work and want to use it commercially....but what does a commercial licence actually mean?
>
> Do I retain copyright? Can I still sell my images on my website? Can I still enter images into comps? Can I still post mages to website such as UKC?
>
> Would be very useful to hear from UKC toggers who have some of their images under licence to Getty....but all info welcome.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Shaun

I did have but have cancelled my contract with them, make more without, depends on your images. BTW is this through Flickr? There is s comprehensive FAQ in the invite only Getty group that will answer your questions. But I'll try-

Copyright, yes keep that. You can sell limited edition prints, or limited run self published books. You cannot sell non limited editions or licence image files. Comps probably not, as the terms of comps often have you grant them a very open licence which will breach Gettys terms. You are allowed to promote yourself by sharing your images on sharing sites, so UKC should be okay. But basically if someone wants to buy/licence an image represented by Getty then it must be sold by them where you get the lesser percentage, unless a limited edition print. You can make money if stock photography is your thing (images need to be commercial, good for stock, and you many need to follow trends and produce a fair bit) but if you wish to sell direct, sell less often but want more control and have customers that want prints, IMO it is best to sell them yourself. Gettys contract lasts 1or 2 years after you cancel it on the images you've given to them ( depends on what type of contract they out you on - micro stock, or normal) so your images, if you decide to get out can be tied up with them for some time. If they offer you a micro stock contract then I would probably decline that.

But if it is Flickr then read the many similar questions on the Getty group as that will answer much of why you want and need to know. Also be aware if it is through Flickr, someone may have clicked the buy from Getty button and this has prompted Getty to ask you. That might mean there is interest that you can pursue without signing up. I'd advise not just reading up on the Getty terms but also about stock in general and whether it is for you. I was tempted but it wasn't right for me and my imagery.
OP shaun walby 20 Oct 2012
In reply to shaun walby:

Thanks Enty & Escher...reading around it there's such a mixed bag of opinion its hard to figure out if its a wise move or not.

My main concern is all 6 of the images they want ive earmarked for entry into APOTY 2012, which iam planning to submit in the next couple of weeks...i doubt this will be acceptable to Getty.

Maybe i'll tell Getty they are comp entries and see what they say, the chance of getting beyond the APOTY shortlist is slim but it a comp i like, guess its worth contacting APOTY as well see what they say?

thanks Shaun

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...