UKC

If you've trecked in the Himalaya

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Trangia 22 Oct 2012
Did you get diarrhoea?

a) No

b) mildly

c) badly

For me it was (c) which partly spoilt the experience,
 L.A. 22 Oct 2012
In reply to Trangia: Ive had Amoebic (Gangotri), Hepatitis(Kashmir) and mild Typhoid (Nepal)plus god knows how many doses of the squits over various trips
However it hasnt put me off as its Himalayan trip no 35 in two weeks time
-NHS Get ready !
In reply to Trangia: b) 24hrs of notnicetimes, then felt much better. Shouldn't have eaten the local's fish soup...
 Jerry67 22 Oct 2012
In reply to Trangia: c. I blame it on the tin of Mullagatawny soup we had in the evening. Movement began about 4 hours later and continued for 24 hours. Fortunately we had camped by the only tree for miles, and just followed the shade round all day.
Jerry
In reply to Trangia: I got giardia which was evident by my burps tasting metallic and more smelly than usual. Plus excessive gas production and a lot of shitting.I was trekking for 3 months so the bad symptoms only bothered me for a small portion of the trip.
 russtyg 22 Oct 2012
In reply to Trangia:

I got (c) but was luckily prepared with relevant anti-biotics. I get it all of the time, all part of the fun taking daily Immodium
 martinph78 22 Oct 2012
In reply to Trangia: Giardia. C.

Was horrid, lasted well after I'd returned. Lost nearly 2 stone in weight. Wouldn't ever want that again
In reply to Trangia:

Yes, c).
 nw 22 Oct 2012
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:
C, didn't spoil it though (for long). My own fault, I didn't wait long enough for the tabs to work on a bottle of water from the village well as I was flamin thirsty.
 Escher 22 Oct 2012
In reply to Trangia: Ten treks and never have, had the squits only once when in Chitwan, never in the hills. Must be very lucky, have an iron stomach or be some sort of carrier!
mountainmadness 22 Oct 2012
In reply to Trangia:

A)

Spent 3 months in Nepal, 2 months in the mountains - used a Steripen which I'm fully convinced worked! Not even so much as a loose stool!
 Escher 22 Oct 2012
In reply to Escher: My girlfriend always gets a dose of something, but since she's been vaccinated with Dukoral she's been fine.
 eltankos 22 Oct 2012
In reply to Trangia:
b) but only on my plane home after our last meal in Kathmandu, and then for a day or so afterwards. So didn't spoil the trek at all.
 L.A. 22 Oct 2012
In reply to Escher: Might want to re phrase that )
 Escher 22 Oct 2012
In reply to L.A.: Ahem, yes! Dose of the trots obviously!
 trish1968 22 Oct 2012
In reply to Trangia: a. I couldn't believe i did a whole month without any problems. I did go veggie and had no alcohol.

Andes was a different story I was quite bad there for about 3 days (not whilst trekking once I'd got back to Taropoto) then it was out of my system thankfully.
OP Trangia 22 Oct 2012
In reply to Martin1978:

Sounds like you had a similar experience to me, and like you mine lasted well after I'd returned. I lost 1 1/2 stone. The only other time I've had a similar experience was in Cairo
 The Bantam 22 Oct 2012
In reply to Trangia:

a) which I can only put down to my questionable hygiene at home! Went vegetarian whilst I was in Nepal and India, and then only vegetables that were served HOT. Boiled water for drinks, and used an alcohol hand gel every 20 minutes (well, before meals, snacks, drinks etc).
OP Trangia 22 Oct 2012
In reply to The Bantam:

I can pretty well trace my problem back to being arrested by the army in the foothills on the way up to Gangotri - it's a long story but basically involved being caught taking photographs (innocently) in a military zone - I was detained and questioned for several hours before being released and during that time provided with several glasses of water. All the precautions like only drinking boiled water treated with iodine, or bottled water with unbroken bottle seals, avoiding washed vegetables etc which I had practiced up till then was for noughtm and I had the raging trots on and off for the next couple of months.....(:
 martinph78 22 Oct 2012
In reply to Trangia: Yeah, and to top it off the antibiotics stripped my gut of any good stuff which prolonged my recovery time. Was vegetarian for over a year as a result of digestive troubles.

Mine was stupidly accepting a glac of water. We were so close to the glacier that I thought it would be fine. I knew there was no other settlements above, but that didn't seem to be enough

I had a filter bottle with me as well. Although I'm never sure when they have stoped working so am now using iodine drops. Even in bottled water if I'm unsure about it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...