UKC

Which winter hat?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
I am about to make a purchase of a winter hat. The criteria for this hat is waterproof and ear covering and it's main use will be for cold/wet winter dog walking at night and not half way Himalayan peak.

I have wittled it down to the classic Lowe Alpine Winter Cap (there are also copies of this design by most of the other main manufacturers at similar price)

OR

The Marmot Cap - this is built more like a baseball cap so the peak is far more rigid and does not fold up.
Admittedly this hat is hardly going to see any proper extreme action, but still want to get the best design for warm/dry head.
I am tempted towards the Marmot myself, but am open to other suggestions / advice.Thx in advance

GoC

nniff 23 Oct 2012
In reply to Game of Conkers:

Dog walking in the pouring rain is best conducted in a full brim Aussie/US stetson type hat IMHO. Keeps the rain off and the branches out of your eyes. Not that I walked into a tree at 5:45 this morning or anything you understand.
In reply to nniff: hhmm, interesting. I see your point, but my ears will be left exposed.
 SFM 23 Oct 2012

Just to mix things up a bit...how about a nice fleece lined waxed hat?

http://www.barbour.com/mens-clothing/hats/cotton-wax/accessories/stanhope-t...

In reply to SFM: ooohh, that's put the cat amongst the pigeons. Will go better with the wellies
 Siward 23 Oct 2012
In reply to Game of Conkers: Loathe though I am to admit it, the most popular hat is probably the best. I've used a Lowe Mountain Cap for years. Lost two and on my third. Needs a chinstrap if very windy.
AWR 23 Oct 2012

Another vote for the Lowe Alpine Mountain Cap. It's great - super cosy and goretex too...and you can roll the ear flaps up for when you don't want your lugs covered.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...