/ Who's met Richard Dawkins in real life?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Escher - on 23 Oct 2012
Did I just see IainRUK on a boat in the Irish sea showing Richard Dawkins 200 year old clams on Sex, Death and the meaning of life?

I'm quite enjoying the program and I feel he is dealing with the subjects with compassion and is not bashing religion, but instead expressing his point of view. I'm probably biased as I am an atheist, but I am trying not to be biased in my view of how Dawkins expresses his views. Hard to tell, we are a product of our beliefs. Anyway I think it is worth a watch whatever your beliefs. Even if to learn that clams are amongst the oldest living organisms, thanks Iain!
Philip on 23 Oct 2012
I've heard him talk when I was at university but back then he stuck more to science than belief.

I can't help but think he's realised that in order for religion to be replaced we would need another set of guidance.
TheDrunkenBakers - on 23 Oct 2012
In reply to Escher: I havent butI would like to. He's a bit of a hero.
The New NickB - on 23 Oct 2012
In reply to Escher:

I have not met him, but I did spot him walking along the street in Oxford a few years ago, deep in conversation with Rowan Williams.
Purple - on 23 Oct 2012
In reply to Philip:

in order for religion to be replaced we would need another set of guidance.

Ha Ha! Good troll!
Motown - on 25 Oct 2012
In reply to Escher: I am an atheist and want to support Dawkins, but have found unfortunately that he is preaches it so hard that he I don't want to. A shame really. The God Delusion is like reading a religious text in that respect.

Can't remember who said it, but heard someone comment 'However much I might believe what he says, you kbnow he be really annoying to sit next to.'
ripper - on 25 Oct 2012
In reply to Escher: I'm an atheist too and unless someone can show me concrete proof of the existence of Richard Dawkins I refuse to believe he's anything more than a fairy story
Philip on 25 Oct 2012
In reply to Purple:

I wasn't trolling. It was perhaps badly phrased. I'm agnostic. I'm not sure it matters and I'm not concerned whether I'll change my views. However, Dawkins comes across (and I think this is media portrayal - when I met him years ago he seemed okay, Atkins seemed more mental) as needing to convert, or rather needing to explain.

It's the scientist really. Imagine walking into a room with 10 people who knew nothing about some fact you know to be true. You tell them, and 2 very bright people understand straight away. Then you explain it a bit better and 5 more understand. You're left with 3, they're not the least intelligent, in fact they think they're more intelligent than you and that your reasoning is wrong. But you think you can show their reasoning is wrong, so you start to debate the logic. There is a point you can't stop. I've done it trying to explain a maths problem to a group of science and maths teachers.

Dawkins comes across like that.

It isn't religion that causes problems, it's exploiting religion. Catholic vs Protestant was never about who had the right method for talking to God. It was about who could exploit the poor.
pebbles - on 25 Oct 2012
In reply to ripper: ah, but it is possible to meet Richard Dawkins and come back to report the fact. Whereas the other trip is a strictly one-way experiment.
EeeByGum - on 25 Oct 2012
In reply to pebbles:
> (In reply to ripper) ah, but it is possible to meet Richard Dawkins and come back to report the fact. Whereas the other trip is a strictly one-way experiment.

You beat me to it. I was going to say that Richard Dawkins doesn't actually exist. He is just someone atheists believe in! :-)
ripper - on 25 Oct 2012
In reply to pebbles: ok ok until and unless i happen to bump into him down the shops i'm prepared to accept there MAY be a Dawkins. the other feller is definitely a fairy story though...
Motown - on 25 Oct 2012
pebbles - on 25 Oct 2012
In reply to ripper: I'v definataely seen an image of ricahrd dawkins face manifested in a slice of aubergine. what more proof do you need?
ripper - on 25 Oct 2012
In reply to pebbles: well I do believe in aubergines - mmmmmm baba ganoush!
Clarence - on 26 Oct 2012
In reply to Escher:

I had a cup of coffee with Richard Dawkins at UMIST a few years ago. It was on towel day and he was intrigued by my dressing gown and "Don't Panic" towel. We mainly talked about Douglas Adams and he seemed quite a nice chap.
Fredt on 26 Oct 2012
In reply to Escher:

I refuse to acknowledge he exists.
deepstar - on 26 Oct 2012
In reply to Escher: I have`nt met Richard Dawkins but I did briefly meet Jimmy Saville, eugh!! creepy b*gg*r.
ripper - on 26 Oct 2012
In reply to deepstar: my stepson once wrote to Jimmy Saville, asking Jim to fix it for him to meet his hero at the time - Michael Jackson. He never received a reply. Talk about lucky escapes....
In reply to Escher: His mum?
john arran - on 26 Oct 2012
In reply to deepstar:
> (In reply to Escher) I have`nt met Richard Dawkins but I did briefly meet Jimmy Saville, eugh!! creepy b*gg*r.

You say that now. I bet you were bragging about it until last week!

;-)

ads.ukclimbing.com
deepstar - on 26 Oct 2012
In reply to john arran:
> (In reply to deepstar)
> [...]
>
> You say that now. I bet you were bragging about it until last week!
>
> ;-)

Oh no, I was serving teas at the 2010 London Marathon and he was making really lewd and inappropriate comments to teenage girl who was working with me,he really freaked her out!
john arran - on 26 Oct 2012
In reply to deepstar:

Ok, i'll let you off then.
nicolaw - on 26 Oct 2012
In reply to Escher: yes, i've worked with Richard on a number of occasions for a couple of science docs. He's real, i assure you. Very charming, generous with his knowledge, sometimes grumpy, occasionally socially awkward but always passionate. loved working with him.
Coel Hellier - on 26 Oct 2012
In reply to nicolaw:

Wow, impressed by your photo gallery!

(Sorry, that was slightly off topic.)
Postmanpat on 26 Oct 2012
In reply to deepstar:
> (In reply to john arran)
> [...]
>
> Oh no, I was serving teas at the 2010 London Marathon and he was making really lewd and inappropriate comments to teenage girl who was working with me,he really freaked her out!

Eeading the thread from the latest post up I thought you were referring to Richard Dawkins. Now, I'm not a great fan but this did give me a bit of a surprise :)
Clarence - on 26 Oct 2012
In reply to Postmanpat:
> Reading the thread from the latest post up I thought you were referring to Richard Dawkins.

I was just waiting for someone to say "well he does look a bit funny"...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.