UKC

Born To Run and other books

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
some_fulla_ant 24 Oct 2012
My wife and I just read Born To Run and found it overall good fun and motivating.

We're interested to read other such motivation-enhancers - any suggestions? I saw mention of "feet in the clouds" and "ultra marathon man" in this thread: http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=522115

Also, any suggestions for reputable reads on 'barefoot' running technique? Born To Run makes a number of arguments but is not necessarily an authoritative source...
 Nick Russell 24 Oct 2012
In reply to some_fulla_ant:
> Also, any suggestions for reputable reads on 'barefoot' running technique? Born To Run makes a number of arguments but is not necessarily an authoritative source...

I assume you're looking for a book, so this isn't exactly what you asked for, but here's the group doing most of the research:
http://barefootrunning.fas.harvard.edu/
The New Nick B not logged on 24 Oct 2012
In reply to cbonner:

The OP asked for inspirational reads about running, not a step-by-step guide to a style of running with limited application and of dubious benefit for the majority of runners.

With regard to the books mentioned, I really enjoyed Feet in the Clouds, but found Ultramarathon Man increasingly tedious.

I did enjoy Paul Rambali's Barefoot Runner, a biography of Abebe Bikila.
 Tall Clare 24 Oct 2012
In reply to The New Nick B not logged on:

In fairness to cbonner, the OP did also ask for barefoot running technique books.

Sorry just spotted the request for information about barefoot running.

Ask yourself the question, is my existing running style giving me injury problems? Particularly below the knee. If it isn't don't try and change it. Barefoot certainly won't make you faster and whilst it may help relieve problems below the knee, is likely to cause more problems above. Matt Fitzgerald has written some well balanced stuff on the advantages of barefoot technique (or otherwise) largely based on an analysis of the studies carried out.
ColtCham 24 Oct 2012

Try Scott Jureks EAT & RUN. I thought it was really good.
In reply to ColtCham: Thanks, I should have mentioned I've got it on order from the library already
In reply to The New Nick B not logged on: We're not really about to throw away our shoes, more interested in the arguments for and against.

I haven't run much in the last few years as I get knee pain after about 20 mins running in a straight line (I can play indoor or outdoor football for as long as I like without getting the same pain). Yes, I will be heading to the physio rather than looking for an internet forum diagnosis.

I'm keen to start running again and just idly curious about barefoot/minimal shoes and such things...
 elliptic 24 Oct 2012

You could check out Run Wild by Boff Whalley. It's fair to say he's not a fan of road running (!) but there's plenty of inspiration in it for getting out on the fells or into the woods. Very dippable-into as well.
 joeurwin 24 Oct 2012
In reply to some_fulla_ant: +1 for feet in the clouds. Also you could try Why we run by Robin Harvie
 cbonner 24 Oct 2012
In reply to Tall Clare: Thank you!
 cbonner 24 Oct 2012

> I'm keen to start running again and just idly curious about barefoot/minimal shoes and such things...

I think there are a few important things to take away from barefoot running about form. But the most important I beleive is not to overstride - feet should land under your hips (center of gravity), not ahead of your knee. Quicken your cadence too - find the cadence where you feel that springyness! Like when using a skipping rope.

andybenham 24 Oct 2012
In reply to some_fulla_ant: If you have knee pain (outside?) then I can highly recommend heading over to Strengthrunning.com and looking up the ITB rehab routine. 5 minutes per day for a few weeks pretty much sorted me out and all you need is a theraband.

Strength running is one of the better blogs on running that I've found.

Agree with the other poster about gait and cadence being the most important parts to take away from barefoot technique though I do also believe reducing the amount of heel/toe differential your shoes have is a good thing in the long run though taking it steady to avoid calf strain is essential.

Not sure about another poster's assertion that barefoot damages parts of your body above the knee - which parts? how?
 Nick Russell 24 Oct 2012
In reply to andybenham:
> Not sure about another poster's assertion that barefoot damages parts of your body above the knee - which parts? how?

I actually thought it was the opposite: barefoot running (if attempted too much, too soon) can cause injuries to the calves and achilles tendons
 cbonner 24 Oct 2012
In reply to Nick Russell:
> (In reply to andybenham)
> [...]
>
> I actually thought it was the opposite: barefoot running (if attempted too much, too soon) can cause injuries to the calves and achilles tendons

Yes, your body does need time to adjust. So break in to it slowly. Treat it as if it were a new exercise, something you've never done before.
 cbonner 24 Oct 2012

> Not sure about another poster's assertion that barefoot damages parts of your body above the knee - which parts? how?

If it hurts, you're most likely doing something wrong.
In reply to Nick Russell:

Clearly if you heel strike in 'barefoot' shoes you are going to have problems below the knee, but assuming the technique transition has taken place (easier said than done), the forces are moved above the knee and can cause problems with abductors and hips.
 cbonner 24 Oct 2012
> (In reply to Nick Russell)
>
> Clearly if you heel strike in 'barefoot' shoes you are going to have problems below the knee, but assuming the technique transition has taken place (easier said than done), the forces are moved above the knee and can cause problems with abductors and hips.

No. The Harvard research shows that barefoot running substantially reduces (near enough eliminates) the transient shock through the body caused by heel striking.
In reply to cbonner:

I am going to go back and check the source material on this, but an object hitting the ground at a specific speed will result in a specific force, the moment of force will change, changing that moment will have an impact on different parts of the system.

One thing I didn't realise is that the incidence of people seeking help for plantar fasciitis is approximately 6 times higher for people following a barefoot programme.
 Nick Russell 24 Oct 2012
> One thing I didn't realise is that the incidence of people seeking help for plantar fasciitis is approximately 6 times higher for people following a barefoot programme.

I didn't realise this either, but I think it makes sense now you point it out. The idea behind barefoot running is to transfer the force that's usually applied at a padded heel and the runners knee, to the elastic tissues such as the calf muscle and achilles tendon. Another point that absorbs this force is the arch of the foot, i.e. plantar fascia.
 Carolyn 24 Oct 2012
In reply to cbonner:

> The Harvard research shows that barefoot running substantially reduces (near enough eliminates) the transient shock through the body caused by heel striking.

To be a little pedantic, doesn't it demonstrate that a fore/mid foot strike (ie a "barefoot running style") reduces the shock?

The implication being that changing shoes in itself won't necessarily change your running style, certainly not overnight.

I might be wrong, I've only skimmed through the Harvard stuff - but my experience is that it's taken the best part of a year of wearing barefoot shoes day to day (on top of years of wearing no shoes much of the time) to stop heel striking whilst running.
 Carolyn 24 Oct 2012

> I am going to go back and check the source material on this, but an object hitting the ground at a specific speed will result in a specific force, the moment of force will change, changing that moment will have an impact on different parts of the system.

I'm not sure this is quite addressing this (brain doesn't want to think about the physics in detail!) - but I've seen a study demonstrating that if you wear highly padded shoes, you tend to develop a harder strike and barefoot/less bouncy shoes, which was thought to be to necessary to give the body the feedback that the foot's hit the ground.
In reply to Carolyn:

I know what you mean, although the Harvard study doesn't appear to support this. I am not necessarily advocating a highly cushioned shoe, I train mostly in racing flats, but for many people barefoot technique will just cause them problems, you really need to have naturally high arches.
 Carolyn 24 Oct 2012

> you really need to have naturally high arches.

That's interesting - I'd not come across that.

I do have high arches, as does my 7 year (to the point that getting shoes to fit can be tricky), and he most definitely has a forefoot strike.

How much is "naturally" having high arches, and how much is it that being "barefoot" results in higher arches?

I'm not a zealous barefoot convert, so am just curious really - I tend to wear barefoot shoes because I hate wearing any shoes, and they're a good compromise in cold, wet Cumbria!
 cbonner 24 Oct 2012
In reply to Carolyn:
> (In reply to The New Nick B not logged on)
>
> [...]
>
> I'm not sure this is quite addressing this (brain doesn't want to think about the physics in detail!) - but I've seen a study demonstrating that if you wear highly padded shoes, you tend to develop a harder strike and barefoot/less bouncy shoes, which was thought to be to necessary to give the body the feedback that the foot's hit the ground.

Agreed. Putting a shoe on your foot is like trying to ready a book in the dark.

The nerves in your foot tell your brain what muscles to activate at the right time. With shoes you take this away.

Practicing good form does help though, and I'm not suggesting everyone should run barefoot.
 cbonner 24 Oct 2012

Arch height and pronation control is all a load of rubbish.
In reply to cbonner:
>
> Arch height and pronation control is all a load of rubbish.

Can you substantiate that? Also why the much higher incidence of plantar fasiitis?
 cbonner 24 Oct 2012
> (In reply to cbonner)
> [...]
>
> Can you substantiate that? Also why the much higher incidence of plantar fasiitis?

On pronantion control...

http://www.runblogger.com/2010/07/pronation-control-paradgim-is-starting.ht...

http://www.runblogger.com/2012/09/why-term-overpronation-should-be.html

As for plantar fasciitis, my guess would be that most people do too much too soon, before they have had time to adjust. If the muscles in your foot are too weak, the plantar fascia will be taking the strain.
 Carolyn 24 Oct 2012
In reply to cbonner:

The ads coming up for me next to that blog are hilarious - mainly running shoes, but also some amazing platform heels.....!
 cbonner 24 Oct 2012

A well documented study on how pronation control does little to avoid injury.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20576837
 Ridge 24 Oct 2012
In reply to cbonner:
>
> Arch height and pronation control is all a load of rubbish.

That must be why after years of achilles problems, trying various running techniques and exercises that a set of custom orthotics to reduce pronation completely eliminated the problem...
 StefanB 24 Oct 2012

Not sure on barefoot books, but inspirational books:

Bernd Heinrich - Why we Run (my all time favourite)
Scott Yurek's book already mentioned
Lopez Lomong - Running for my Life
Ray Zaheb's book, also called "Running for my Life" (ghost-written) - best read in combination with watching the film "running the sahara"
Alberto Salazar - 14 minutes (if you don't ming a bit of religion thrown in)

if you are interested in novels:

John L. Parker - "Once a Runner" + the sequel "again to carthage"
 cbonner 24 Oct 2012
In reply to Ridge:
> (In reply to cbonner)
> [...]
>
> That must be why after years of achilles problems, trying various running techniques and exercises that a set of custom orthotics to reduce pronation completely eliminated the problem...

If it works for you, then that's great.

Personally, I've been there and done that - yeah it was great at first. Eventually it gave me chronic knee pain.

My point is, there is no scientific evidence to suggest the arch height/pronation control actually reduces injury.
 steveriley 24 Oct 2012
'Agreed. Putting a shoe on your foot is like trying to ready a book in the dark.'

And they say barefooters can be evangelical
Speaking for myself I mostly run offroad, in shoes. Fell shoe are by nature pretty low tech and low to the ground. On the road I use lighter, lower, racier styles. Try and run light with a bit of a cadence, but can't don't fancy breaking apart my technique.

I enjoyed Born to Run, FITC, Run Wild. Slightly more workmanlike but still good was Ghost Runner. Charlie Spedding's book is good, from a time when people trained hard. Gilbert Tuhabonye's book is remarkable, if slightly grim.
 cbonner 24 Oct 2012
In reply to steveri:

>
> And they say barefooters can be evangelical

Who said I ran barefoot?
 steveriley 24 Oct 2012
In reply to cbonner:

OK. Note smiley. I'd suggest running in shoes isn't that similar to reading in the dark. Otherwise we wouldn't be able to do it

Note not all barefooters scorn shoes.
 cbonner 24 Oct 2012
In reply to steveri:

Apologies I should have put smiley to distinguish my humour.

I see your point, maybe that was a bad analogy, but you know what I'm getting at?

I don't scorn shoes, I love running off road and I almost always wear shoes. But there is a loss of sensory feedback when wearing them. For me I prefer less shoe rather than more cushion.
 red.stiletto 24 Oct 2012
+1 to feet in the clouds
Also try
The ghost runner (brilliant)
What I think about when I think about running (bit slower but thought provoking)
 tistimetogo 24 Oct 2012

Not bare foot running. But I did find Chrissy Wellinton's "A life without limits" to be pretty uplifting. Captures the feeling of racing quite well too.
 Indy 25 Oct 2012
> I saw mention of "feet in the clouds"

Another vote.... superb book!
 b_fillmore 25 Oct 2012
In reply to Indy:

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this one yet

What I talk about when I talk about running
Haruki Murakami

I'm half way through it now and find it inspiringly pyschological.
 StefanB 25 Oct 2012
In reply to b_fillmore:

>
> I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this one yet
>
> What I talk about when I talk about running
> Haruki Murakami
>
It has in fact been mentioned I have to say that I found it very boring though, but I seem to be the only one.

mountainbagger 25 Oct 2012
In reply to StefanB: No, you're not the only one. I was a little disappointed really.

I quite liked this though:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Life-Run-Coast-Matt-Beardshall/dp/1845492471
Removed User 25 Oct 2012
In reply to mountainbagger:

I read three running books in a row last year, Why we Run, What I think about.. and Born to Run.

Why we Run was written a couple of years after What I think about.. and is obviously modelled on it. What I felt about the two authors were that Robin Harvey was still searching for the answer while the Japanese bloke just had it completely sussed, he understood himself. That said I'd probably agree that Why we Run is a more interesting read but more because of it's flaws than anything else.

I had to give up on Born to Run. I found the style of writing made the book almost unreadable, it was like listening to Bruce Springsteen at full blast on an endless loop, just awful. Further, he over hyped everything so much that I stopped believing anything he said.There may be something to be said for bare foot running but that guy won't convince me.
 StefanB 26 Oct 2012
In reply to Removed User:

> I had to give up on Born to Run. I found the style of writing made the book almost unreadable, it was like listening to Bruce Springsteen at full blast on an endless loop, just awful. Further, he over hyped everything so much that I stopped believing anything he said.There may be something to be said for bare foot running but that guy won't convince me.

I completely agree with everything you say about the book, but I have to admit to still enjoying it. But then I also enjoy Springsteen at full blast on an endless loop
jjv 29 Oct 2012
In reply to StefanB: Hi, I personally think that we, as modern humans, should not begin to run on our bare feet.
As animals, we are "designed" to run on bare feet as we have feet shaped for an efficient running style, with the arch of the foot acting like a spring board for the next stride.

It is certainly true that running without footwear will make you alter the point of your foot that hits the ground, i.e., the forefoot. This is our natural style. Landing on the heel is inefficient and it tends to happen when wearing soft, comfy running trainers. It is this that we must concentrate on - landing on the forefoot. This can be practiced and achieved whilst running in trainers and it will improve your style.

After we've reached a certain age and having worn shoes all of our lives, trying to run without them is, to me, asking for trouble. We (in modern day living) have almost evolved to wear shoes and we cannot go back to barefoot, hunter gatherer style living at the same time as keeping up with our modern lives. It may be different for today's tribal children who grow up wearing no shoes but for us, we have artificial surfaces, like tarmac etc., to run on with broken glass and dog droppings and who knows what else on the floor.

I think if someone must run barefoot, then do it only on natural surfaces like forest paths and sand.

Cheers.

jjv 29 Oct 2012
In reply to jjv: Sorry for going off the main article.
 mountainbagger 29 Oct 2012
In reply to jjv: no need to apologise - you make a good point. I've wondered the same re. running on tarmac and years of being used to comfy shoes.

At the very least, it must take a lot of patience and a very gradual transition over several months or years before one could run barefoot on most surfaces at the same speed/mileage as w/shoes - without injury. And perhaps there is an age at which it simply isn't going to be worthwhile to try.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...