UKC

TdF 2013

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mike Stretford 24 Oct 2012
Details of the route

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/oct/24/tour-de-france-centenary-route

My fimpression is that this route will suit Froome, but I'm no expert. What do the aficianados think?
 lummox 24 Oct 2012
In reply to Papillon: Looks like a great final week ! Battle with Contador on the slopes of D'Huez ?
fxceltic 24 Oct 2012
In reply to Papillon: it is set for a battle between AC and Froomedog by the look of the brief details given.

Depends a lot on the details and in particular the team time trial in Nice could be important, depending on its length. You would expect Sky to make time on SaxoTinkoff Bank.
on the ITTs the length of the 2nd is given and its not that long, we arent told the length of the 1st, but I'd expect Froome to take some time on AC in both, but probably not much.

The final week does appear to be pretty brutal, but again, those details are a bit vague. 2 ascents of the alpe in a single stage sounds appalling but it depends on what precedes those climbs on the day since the alpe is usually at the end of a big mountain day anyway, having already crossed several major cols to get there.

As ever, form will decide who wins.
 Enty 24 Oct 2012
In reply to Papillon:

Map here:

http://www.cycloblog.fr/index.php?post%2F2012%2F10%2F24%2FParcours-du-Tour-...

The 100% official stuff should be online before lunch.

E
 Gasmerchant 24 Oct 2012
More to the point which UKC'ers are going to be doing the Etape?
 ripper 24 Oct 2012
In reply to Papillon: I would so love to see a clean Froome spank Contador - the ideal of AC being pre-race favourite is a bit depressing...
 yorkshireman 24 Oct 2012
In reply to Gasmerchant:
> More to the point which UKC'ers are going to be doing the Etape?

Am eager to find out how close it will be to me, but I'm getting ready to enter again (did Acte 1 this year)

Radioactiveman 24 Oct 2012
In reply to Papillon:

never liked c u ntador tbh
 Mike Highbury 24 Oct 2012
In reply to ripper:
> (In reply to Papillon) I would so love to see a clean Froome spank Contador - the ideal of AC being pre-race favourite is a bit depressing...

Gosh, really? Guess you don't like cycling very much.
 Enty 24 Oct 2012
In reply to Papillon:

Here we go: http://www.letour.fr/le-tour/2013/us/overall-route.html

Apart from the Mickey Mouse Alpe d'Huez stage it looks fantastic.

E
In reply to Enty: So Wiggins will not defend title...will support Froome
 MJH 24 Oct 2012
In reply to Mike Highbury: Rather than make your (usual) snide remark perhaps you woudl care to explain...
 danm 24 Oct 2012
In reply to Mike Highbury:

I love cycling, and despise cheats. Contador is a fantastic, attacking rider, who also happens to be a convicted drugs cheat. It makes my heart bleed knowing that a man with his talents and panache stooped so low as to rob his fellow riders in the peleton a fair crack at taking him on fair and square. For that reason, I'll never be pleased when he wins anything. Now, what was your point, exactly?
 Jim Lancs 24 Oct 2012
Obviously the Col de Sarenne above Alp d'Huez is going to be resurfaced. Excellent.
 Enty 24 Oct 2012
In reply to Jim Lancs:
> Obviously the Col de Sarenne above Alp d'Huez is going to be resurfaced. Excellent.

They were doing that a few weeks ago - that's when the strongest rumours started.

It's a great climb - always been put off descending it. Wonder if they are going to put barriers along the top 2km. Wouldn't want to go over the edge there.

E

Newbuild100 25 Oct 2012
In reply to Enty: I have chance to go and see the Tour again, and may get to see two or three stages.

Which stages would you head for though, stages 18 and 19 perhaps ????
 Rubbishy 25 Oct 2012
In reply to Papillon:

Getting really excited about this one - it's the 100th and I think it is wide open.

In celebration, me and the boys are doing our own version, with this little itinerary organised by my mate John Boy. I may die:

Sat 13th July: DAY 1 - Beaufort, Albertville, Col de la Madeleine, St Michel de Maurienne, Col de Telegraph, OVERNIGHT in Valloire (133km)

Mon 14th July: DAY 2 - Valloire, Col de Galibier, Briancon, Col de Izoard, Guillestre, Embrun, OVERNIGHT in Gap (163km)

Tues 15th JulyAY 3 - Tour de France Stage 18 Gap to Alpe d'Huez to Alpe d'Huez (yes - you climb the mythical 21 hairpins twice which means passing our hotel and knowing you have 50km further and another ascent of the Alp to go!!!!!) OVERNIGHT in AdH or Bd'O dependent on availability (168km)

Wed 16th July: DAY 4 - Tour de France Stage 19 - Bourg d'Oisans to Le Grand Bornand (my Birthday!!). This is going to be one tough day after the 42 hairpins of AdH! OVERNIGHT in Grand Bornand. (204km)

Thurs 17th July - Day 5 - Le Grand Bornand, Col des Aravis, Col des Saisies OVERNIGHT Beaufort. A short day but still with two cols which after b'day celebrations could be tough! (53.3km)
 GrahamD 25 Oct 2012
In reply to John Rushby:

I don't think the bookies have it "wide open". Bertie is firm favourite.
In reply to Papillon:

I'm organising a Pyrenees road trip for 10 people to see the 2 stages and then when the tour has gone through we're going to tick off some of the biggies - Tourmalet, Hautaucam, Luz Ardiden etc.

An excited little Shamster.
 yorkshireman 25 Oct 2012
In reply to La Shamster:

Stages 15-18 (from Ventoux, until the finish on Alpe d'Huez) are all a day out from my house so I'm thinking I'll be booking some time off work already and making the most of it. One month until Etape registrations opens too.
 Enty 25 Oct 2012
In reply to Newbuild100:
> (In reply to Enty) I have chance to go and see the Tour again, and may get to see two or three stages.
>
> Which stages would you head for though, stages 18 and 19 perhaps ????

Well, we've got the Ventoux stage, a rest day and a stage start all within 10km of my house so I'm staying put

The Alpe d'Huez stage will be immense from a spectators point of view. It would take some planning but you could watch on the Col de Sarenne then leg it back down to the Alpe for the finish - if you can move!!
You'll have to be up there at least the day before though.

The Mountains on the next stage are early on in the stage but the Madelaine is great.

E
 Newbuild100 02 Nov 2012
In reply to Enty: Perhaps not an easy one to answer this one but now I have my travel plans sorted (Alpe-D'uez on the 18th).. . . . . .

Does anyone have any advice on where I should site my tent on the climb itself ? I will be there a day early so hopefully, I should get a few choices !1

Thanks all
 DaveHK 03 Nov 2012
In reply to Enty:
> (In reply to Jim Lancs)
> [...]
> It's a great climb - always been put off descending it. Wonder if they are going to put barriers along the top 2km. Wouldn't want to go over the edge there.

When we came down it there was a young lad lying very still and very bloody on the tarmac being tended to by an ambulance crew. Never heard what the outcome was.

That descent is more like something from the Vuelta than the tour. I assume the resurfacing will replace the open fords with tarmaced bridges.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...