UKC

Rough camping spots in Gower?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ciro 24 Oct 2012
Thinking on heading up to Gower this weekend, anyone recommend some good rough camping spots near the sport crags? Preferably somewhere you'll wake up to a nice sea view and not upset any locals
 Dom Whillans 24 Oct 2012
In reply to Ciro:
i used to wild camp on rhosili beach, somewhere near the National Trust cottage. quite the best sunset and place to wake up i think i've known. i know that's not near the sport crags, but it's worth the drive
OP Ciro 24 Oct 2012
In reply to Ciro:

Although thinking about it, I'd quite happily drop the sea views for somewhere I can kip in the back of the car without antagonising anyone...
OP Ciro 24 Oct 2012
In reply to Dom Whillans:

Thanks... might be worth the sea views after all... there's nothing quite like waking up on a beach!
 Alun 24 Oct 2012
In reply to Ciro:
Wild camping is illegal on the beaches but you'll be unlucky to find someone pestering you this late in the year. That said, you should stick to remoter beaches and that means a bit of a slog from the car. The biggest problem will be finding a patch of beach that doesn't get covered by the tide. Such places exist but you have to know where they are, and know your tide-tables.

The majority of the car-parks on the peninsula are either NT or privately owned. There is no overnight-parking/camper-van parking spot of any renown on Gower, not even anything like the Mother Scaries car-park in Pembroke.

My recommendation would be to pony up for the camping at Pitton Cross or Hill End (if it's open).
 brownie mike 24 Oct 2012
In reply to Ciro:

I always park up/ sleep in the large carpark near the countryman/highwayman pub, sorry cant remember the name. Theres a chipshop there for dinner, and a spar that does hot drinks and pasties for breakfast. Its opposite a doctors surgery, a few miles before rhossilli, on the left. Probably spent 30+ nights there over the past 3 years, never had any problems whatsoever..
 Thom.milburn 24 Oct 2012
Just so you lot know, a group of my mates have been caught twice in the past 6 months alone. There are regular patrols. Apparently the south of Gower is a big no-no but further north isn't too troublesome.
 Andy Say 24 Oct 2012
In reply to Ciro:
> (In reply to Ciro)
>
> Although thinking about it, I'd quite happily drop the sea views for somewhere I can kip in the back of the car without antagonising anyone...

YHM
 gethin_allen 24 Oct 2012
In reply to Ciro:
Last time I was out soloing around Tor Bay there were 3 groups (6 tents in total) setting up as I was leaving. Two of the groups were small and hid themselves away a bit, the other group was about 10 strong and pissing about all over the place. With the number of cars parked up top I doubt they got away with it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...