UKC

Honeymoon climbing suggestions please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Oo 24 Oct 2012
The soon-to-be-official-misses and I started climbing over the summer. Currently leading trad around(below) HS. Lots of indoor and some bouldering.

We're getting hitched next August and I'm on the scout for climbing honeymoon destinations. She's been sold by the idea of deep water soloing being a keen swimmer, I like the idea of some sunny multipitch. We both want somewhere cheap, good weather, relatively simple to get to for a week or two and ideally off the beaten track.

Any good personal recommendations of destinations and associated guidebooks?

Thanks in advance.
 muppetfilter 25 Oct 2012
In reply to Oo: Croatia ? Fly to split and then on to the island of Hvar , car hire is needed. There is DWS in walking distance from split as well as routes. It could well be very very hot in August though.

http://dalmatiaclimbing.com/index.html
 Reach>Talent 25 Oct 2012
In reply to muppetfilter:
I based on how hot it was in September and the average temp graphs I looked at I think August will be at least "bloody hot" if not "really bloody hot".
 Blue Straggler 25 Oct 2012
In reply to muppetfilter:

I have not been to Hvar but have been to Istria.
I have also been to Gozo.
I think Gozo might suit just a little better than Istria, but can't comment on Hvar.
 Blue Straggler 25 Oct 2012
In reply to Oo:
>
> . She's been sold by the idea of deep water soloing being a keen swimmer

I am a keen swimmer and competent freediver but I'm not a keen "fall into water from some height" person

nniff 25 Oct 2012
In reply to Oo:

Portugal (Sagres) might fit the bill, although not multi-pitch. There is DWS at Ingrina, with nearby beach and restaurant.

There's enough shade and breeze to make climbing viable no matter how hot is gets (very).

The other possibility would be the Calanques for multi-pitch and water. Not sure about DWS although I know there's lots of sea level traversing around Toulon. It's not going to be cheap in the summer.

However, my best offer is this - no DWS, mostly single pitch, is Tuscany, north of Lucca. We stayed in Barga which, we subsequently found out is full of Scots. You'd go into a shop and start picking your way thorugh a pidgin Italian sentence, only for the wee wifie to spark up in broad Weegie.

Lucca is about 30 mninutes away, Pisa - one hour. Florence 2 hours.

Cheap, really pretty, nice climbing. Lots to do and see. Refugios to stay in if you want, or rent a small apartment (I have a suggestion, with a pool if you'd like). Some areas such as Monte Procinto are substantial. Others are more compact and casual (in situ barbecue grills for example). Shady, coooler up in the hills. Nice walking in fine scenery on well-marked paths.

Decent guide book, with enough English to get by.

Cheap flights to Pisa with easyjet. We'll be going back
 climber34neil 25 Oct 2012
In reply to Oo: how about Pembroke ? Sounds like it has everything you asked for (accept the off the beaten track bit), or head to Lewis and the screaming geo, all sorts of stuff up there!
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 25 Oct 2012
In reply to Oo:

Sounds like Mallorca - apart from the 'off the beaten track'. Having said that, if you avoid the resorts there are a lot of lovely quiet spots to be found.

Chris
 Chad123 25 Oct 2012
In reply to Oo:

Malta and Gozo are the perfect honeymoon destination - plenty of DWS and sport climbing with short drives to get there. (Trad too if interested though we found the sport and DWS better) Also plenty of good tourist sites like Blue Lagoon for relaxing. Food isn't bad either and it's such a strange mix of Britsh, European and Arabic cultures. Oh and you'll get horribly addicted to Pastizzi as well - watch out!

Chad123 25 Oct 2012
In reply to Oo:

PS Feels more intrepid than Mallorca, Sardinia, Costa Blanca etc
 saz_b 25 Oct 2012
In reply to Oo: Suggest Thailand (Railay). DWS, sports though, and multipitch. A well-trodden destination though, but popular for a reason (and plenty of accom geared at honeymoon couples).
In reply to Oo: It won't fit the DWS request, but as it's a honeymoon I would consider Yangshuo. You can have a few days in Honky spoiling yourselves then get the train to Guilin and climb in Yangshuo. It's really beautiful and very unusual scenery and loads of climbing.
kezagee 25 Oct 2012
In reply to Oo:

I second Thailand! although its mainly trodden by dirtbag climbers seeking the cheapest mudhut out there, there is still plenty of luxury accommodation for high-end tourists. Plus there is loads more to see and do around Thailand for it to really feel like a honeymoon and not a ryanair cheap flight option.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...