UKC

Swanage conditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ciderslider 26 Oct 2012
Thinking of Swanage tomorrow (Sat), the forecast is cold and sunny with a stiff offshore wind.
Anybody any idea what conditions are likely to be for a bit of trad (ruckle maybe).

Cheers
 GrahamD 26 Oct 2012
In reply to Ciderslider:

Sounds perfect from what you said
 Rollo 26 Oct 2012
In reply to Ciderslider:

And low tide at 13:52!! Get on it
 scott titt 26 Oct 2012
In reply to Ciderslider:
I have changed my climbing day to Saturday on the basis of the forecast (rubbish today though!)
OP Ciderslider 26 Oct 2012
In reply to scott titt: Thanks Scott, do you know what the condition of the rock is like.
Sorry to be a pain (but it's a 200 mile round trip that I don't want to make for a rubbish day - conversely well worth it if conditions are good).
 Owen W-G 26 Oct 2012
In reply to Ciderslider:

I predict great conditions for Saturday.
Ruckle will be nicely sheltered from those northerlies
 GrahamD 26 Oct 2012
In reply to Ciderslider:

200 mile round trip to Swanage ? luxury ! a 200 mile round trip for us might make Leicestershire or Sandstone !
 rmoffat 26 Oct 2012
In reply to GrahamD: Sweet im going. See you goobers down there.
In reply to Owen W-G: Cheers mate, suppose I'd better open a can of man up and get myself onto some ruckle nasties.
In reply to GrahamD: ok fair do's - I'll stop bleating
In reply to rmoffat: What's a goober ????
 Owen W-G 29 Oct 2012
In reply to Ciderslider:

How was the conditions?
 scott titt 29 Oct 2012
In reply to Owen W-G:
I had to strip down to my T-shirt on Old Faithful (as I had predicted), nasty in the car park though!
 Rollo 29 Oct 2012
In reply to Ciderslider: As you can see from this photo, conditions on the Ruckle were atrocious!

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=10100379964195870&set=a.70372...
OP Ciderslider 29 Oct 2012
In reply to Owen W-G: Hi mate, couldn't believe it !!!!! We made the call and went down. I had heard about peeps climbing in a t shirt year round but had never experienced it.
We went down onto boulder ruckle and as soon as we got out of the wind it was glorious - I took a small pack down onto the first climb (with light jacket etc) waste of time didn't need it.
Second climb I was sitting on the ledge and had to take my power stretch top off and I was getting cooked.
Had I not have experienced it I wouldn't have believed it !!!! I shall now be watching the forecast for sun and cold northerly winds.
In reply to scott titt: Hey Scott were your ears burning (as we were talking about you with a very strong young chap who was hammering in belay poles above Ocean boulevard abb point).
What a day !!!!!
In reply to Rollo: Mate, we were there (sat) and it was lush - we were up the far western end and saw only one other team.
Could see swarms on sub though
 scott titt 29 Oct 2012
In reply to Ciderslider:
So now you are a believer. My ears are only burning with the sun. The strong chap was Marti999, he had picked the stakes up from my house while I was out climbing, they are quite big aren't they!
In reply to scott titt: I am now a believer indeed el presidente ! It was very reassuring to use the nice new one as backup after hearing all the horror stories about the old ones, especially after we had used the old one alone to abb in to do our first climb.
So is it always like that if it's sunny with an offshore ??
 Rollo 30 Oct 2012
In reply to Ciderslider:

Yeah it's weird how few people come down on such a perfect day! and yet if it was the summer and 25 deg you'd see the crowds put up with traffic jams to get there and then roast on the S facing cliffs!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...