UKC

And the Moral of the Story is...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Yanis Nayu 26 Oct 2012
I'm listening to the radio and they're talking about schools quashing kids' ambitions. Loads of people are 'phoning is saying that they were told be teachers they should become hairdressers and binmen, but they're now world-leading experts in everything.

So the moral of the story is, tell kids they're a waste of space and wait for the buggers to prove you wrong!
 Tall Clare 26 Oct 2012
In reply to Submit to Gravity:

Nice theory - still waiting for it to work for me.
OP Yanis Nayu 26 Oct 2012
In reply to Tall Clare: Awww! Worked for Winston Churchill - his parents were awful.
 GrahamD 26 Oct 2012

They can't have been that bad or else how come every sprog born since has looked like Winston Churshill ?
 graeme jackson 26 Oct 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:
> (In reply to Submit to Gravity)
>
> Nice theory - still waiting for it to work for me.

You're a binman?

mux 26 Oct 2012
In reply to Submit to Gravity: they are right my teachers said that I was was lazy and spent most of my day day dreaming. That I lacked ambition and concen......Ooo look a birdy
Wiley Coyote2 26 Oct 2012

My teacher said I was a model pupil though, sadly, not a working model

I was made to go to speak to the careers woman in our school AFTER i'd been accepted to law school (around 1998). Even after telling her what I was going to do, she kept asking me if I fancied a career in the armed forces and gave me lots of brochures.

Turns out everyone who went to see her got the same chat! Bizarre.
 teflonpete 26 Oct 2012

> So the moral of the story is, tell kids they're a waste of space and wait for the buggers to prove you wrong!

Good idea, my teachers said I should be a world-leading expert in everything but I ended up being a hairdressing binman.
KevinD 26 Oct 2012

John Gurdon, one of the Nobel prize winners this year (and might be reason this came up) got ranked 250th out of 250 kids in his year at biology and did poorly at others.
needless to say his school report didnt encourage him to pursue his aim of being a scientist.
OP Yanis Nayu 26 Oct 2012
In reply to teflonpete:
>
> [...]
>
> Good idea, my teachers said I should be a world-leading expert in everything but I ended up being a hairdressing binman.

I think of you more as a hairdresser who binmans...
 Offwidth 26 Oct 2012

I had some teachers that might have used such rude statements as a motivation technique, others were just arses and lots were OK; just like normal people really. Success isn't always easy to define: I've known very happy labourers and very depressed professionals. I also wonder how would you class Vidal Sasson on you success scale?
 toad 26 Oct 2012
In reply to professionalwreckhead:
>
> I was made to go to speak to the careers woman in our school AFTER i'd been accepted to law school (around 1998).

What country did you go to school in?
In reply to Submit to Gravity: I told the guy at my one and only careers interview at grammar school I wanted to be a; "vet or a geneticist", he told me, "I'm putting you in for a welding apprenticeship."

best thing that ever happened to me that apprenticeship!

It made me buck up my ideas, get out of the iron foundry, and get a degree under my belt.
In reply to Submit to Gravity: I was told by a 'careers advisor' at school that, going off my predicted grades, I should apply for a vocational course in construction or some-such. I now have a degree and I am training to be a science teacher.
 verygneiss 27 Oct 2012

I went to several careers interviews (in my 5th and 6th years of secondary school) because they were tremendously amusing. The poor adviser only had a limited range of careers in her database, and she would match these to your interests. When I said I wanted to be a geologist (I am one), she brought up the same two recommendations: countryside ranger or geography teacher. I would then say that I wished to be neither, there would be some polite blether, then I'd take my leave.
 johncook 27 Oct 2012
In reply to Submit to Gravity: Careers advisor, after reviewing my 'academic potential' recommended that I look at park attendant or council gardener. I admit I was lazy at school, doing no more than I needed to, as it was anticipated by my family that I was destined for either the steel works of the pits, and family, in those days tended to decide on ones career path! After school I went on to (badly?) select several different careers, obtain degrees or higher in three subjects and enjoy myself. I am now over-qualified for bumbly jobs that are relevant to my age (Supermarket greeter!) or too old for any job where I can use my qualifications. I am enjoying taking back out of the system some of the huge amounts I have paid in NI over 45 plus years, and surviving quite comfortably on Pension Credits!
 aln 27 Oct 2012
In reply to GrahamD:
>
> They can't have been that bad or else how come every sprog born since has looked like Winston Churshill ?

I thought we all looked like Genghis Khan?

OP Yanis Nayu 27 Oct 2012
In reply to verygneiss:
>
> I went to several careers interviews (in my 5th and 6th years of secondary school) because they were tremendously amusing. The poor adviser only had a limited range of careers in her database, and she would match these to your interests. When I said I wanted to be a geologist (I am one), she brought up the same two recommendations: countryside ranger or geography teacher. I would then say that I wished to be neither, there would be some polite blether, then I'd take my leave.

And where did you learn about the transliteration of Russian?
OP Yanis Nayu 27 Oct 2012
In reply to aln:
> (In reply to GrahamD)
> [...]
>
> I thought we all looked like Genghis Khan?

I did a poo once that looked like Genghis Khan.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...