UKC

Are you still climbing outside now?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jessyb 26 Oct 2012
When do you call it an end to climbing season?

My friends are all pretty soft core wrt the cold but I still want to get out!

ElBarto 26 Oct 2012
In reply to limey: It's not ended yet, be a great climbing weather at Portland tomorrow. Haven't checked the forecast for the rest of the country.
 Ed Navigante 26 Oct 2012
In reply to limey:

Yeah! We're off to northumberland... and snow settled there last night :P

Bouldering starts when you get a big white fluffy pad on the ground
 Simon Caldwell 26 Oct 2012
In reply to limey:
Outdoor climbing season finishes on December 31st and starts again on 1st January.
 Skip 26 Oct 2012
In reply to limey:
Will be out tomorrow. No end to the season down here in Cornwall.
 catt 26 Oct 2012
In reply to limey:
> When do you call it an end to climbing season?

When it's time for the next climbing season?
 GrahamD 26 Oct 2012
In reply to limey:

I don't. Climbing is possible year round. Just pick your venues appropriately
 Ciro 26 Oct 2012
In reply to limey:

As they all said.

If this thread doesn't embarrass them into action, find some new friends.
 Offwidth 26 Oct 2012
In reply to limey:

The grit has only just been called, why would you be inside on a nice day?
 Ava Adore 26 Oct 2012
In reply to limey:

I'm not very psyched for outdoor climbing at the moment so that, coupled with the fact that I'm nesh, means I stay indoors.
 thebrookster 26 Oct 2012
In reply to Toreador:
> (In reply to limey)
> Outdoor climbing season finishes on December 31st and starts again on 1st January.

And that is just to allow time for the customary drams etc to take place!!
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 26 Oct 2012
In reply to limey:

In Kalymnos the crowds are going home, the temperature and humidity are dropping - the prime season is just beginning!

Chris

fried 26 Oct 2012
In reply to limey:

Font season starts this weekend.
 beardy mike 26 Oct 2012
In reply to limey: Never. Tell your mates to crack open a pack of man up.
 AlanLittle 26 Oct 2012
In reply to limey:

Was rock climbing in the Karwendel at 2,000 metres on Sunday afternoon in a teeshirt (after getting out of the car in the valley in the shade in the morning and thinking "bloody hell! What am I doing here? Where's my hat? Why didn't I put my long johns on?")
 The Pylon King 26 Oct 2012
In reply to limey:

> When do you call it an end to climbing season?

i don't understand
 SGD 26 Oct 2012
In reply to limey: I will be somewhere in the sunny Avon Gorge tomorrow, scared senseless no doubt but happy
 martinph78 26 Oct 2012
In reply to limey: I didn't kow we had a season. Thought that was just for the girls sports such as footy and the like
 Ciderslider 26 Oct 2012
In reply to limey: Off to Swanage for a bit of sea cliff tradyness
 gingerdave13 26 Oct 2012
In reply to fried: nah font was in june.. getting away from the wet!
 GridNorth 26 Oct 2012
In reply to limey: I used to climb all year round but after 50 years of suffering I feel that I have earned the right to be a fair weather climber only.
In reply to Chris Craggs:
> (In reply to limey)
>
> In Kalymnos the crowds are going home, the temperature and humidity are dropping - the prime season is just beginning!
>
> Chris

We're not jealous..............
Well actually I am.

Cheese Monkey 26 Oct 2012
In reply to limey: Out in the rain 3 days this week. 40mph gusts made it 8C feel extremely cold today though so limited it to 2 routes! No end to the season. Do easy stuff in the wet, simples
 ledifer 26 Oct 2012
In reply to limey:

I wimped off athos on haytor a few weeks ago because of the cold.

And I was a little bit scared and it seemed like a valid excuse at the time, especially knowing that my belayer is a massive wuss when it comes to the cold.

Anyhows climbing indoors tomorrow, looking forward to a winter of hard indoor routes after a summer of easy diffs that have left me weak and cowardly.
 climbingpixie 26 Oct 2012
In reply to Cheese Monkey:

> Do easy stuff in the wet,

Yuk! Never really seen the point of this - isn't climbing supposed to be fun? Wet days are what mountain biking was made for.

OP - yep, still climbing and having good days out. Brimham was t-shirt weather on Sunday anyway! Just pick your crags and be flexible with your plans.
 Cheese Monkey 26 Oct 2012
In reply to climbingpixie: Obviously I enjoy it, else I wouldnt bother...
 Kemics 26 Oct 2012
In reply to limey:

Cold = good friction.
Really cold = even better friction
Really really cold = etc

...this is an open ended scale.
 Jon Stewart 26 Oct 2012
In reply to Kemics:
> (In reply to limey)
>
> Cold = good friction.
> Really cold = even better friction
> Really really cold = etc
>
> ...this is an open ended scale.

When the conditions on grit are perfect, desperate stuff feels easy. But I find good conditions are pretty specific, not just as cold as possible.

I find that dryness has as much as an effect as coldness. Cold, but damp in the air and windy is utterly useless and I stay at home. Windiness that makes you so cold your nervous system stops functioning properly completely outweighs any advantages from good friction for me. Cold, crisp, dry, still days with plenty of sun are amazing. Average cold winter days are miserable.

Dave 88 26 Oct 2012
In reply to limey:

Year round climbing is possible as long as you apply rule 5.
 Duncan Bourne 26 Oct 2012
In reply to limey:
I have climbed outside right the way through the year before now. It depends on weather and determination.
 climber34neil 26 Oct 2012
In reply to limey: the climbing season doesn't end, there is always somewhere climb wether it rock, ice or mixed!
 Ann S 26 Oct 2012
In reply to limey:

Just had a cracking if short day on Gowbarrow overlooking Ullswater. Reckoned the Met forecast would be wrong yet again so instead of freezing cold winds we had sunny mild weather with cracking views over the lake on bone dry rock. Superb!
 Toerag 26 Oct 2012
In reply to limey: We can climb year round here in Guernsey - virtually all the crags face south and it only snows about once every ten years. If the roads are dry then climbing is possible.
 TobyA 26 Oct 2012
In reply to limey: -6 where I live at the mo'. That's cold for this time of year, but if it stays that cold at nights for about five nights, there will be climbable ice. That's the START of the season!
Steph-in-the-West 26 Oct 2012
In reply to limey:
Would be if my partner's fingers didn't lock up in the wind.....winter partner needed........................
 nicboarder 27 Oct 2012
In reply to limey: Gtit season is just starting!!! Get your thermals on and get out there!!!
 Puppythedog 27 Oct 2012
In reply to limey: I'm heading out in the morning. True that I climb more indoors than out in the winter but that's because the evenings are dark not because it's cold.
 alan moore 27 Oct 2012
In reply to Toreador:
finishes on December 31st and starts again on 1st January.

Too right. Everywhere from Northern Highland Outcrops to Portland, it is possible to climb outside all year round, given the right day.

Can't understand why anyone, ever, would choose to climb indoors. But each to their own...

Bulls Crack 27 Oct 2012
In reply to limey:

Despite all the pan-seasonal posturing on here ( ) of course there's a climbing 'season'. Yes you can climb throughout the winter given the right weather/cliff/aspect etc. - and cold n dry is good for grit although increasing cold does not mean unlimited increased friction - but days are shorter, the weather if often worse and it's colder, so less opportunities all round - although with this summer.......
In reply to limey:

T shirt weather on the cliffs in south pembrokeshire today, but you needed a jacket and a warm hat ready for you on the cliff top for putting on when belaying in the keen northerly wind.

Above 5 degrees, sunshine and no wind is fine and we can get that at any time of year in Pembrokeshire.
 Šljiva 27 Oct 2012
In reply to mountain.martin: Absolutely beautiful day at Stanage today
 Gasmerchant 27 Oct 2012
In reply to limey:

Cracking day at Swanage today, almost t-shirt and shorts weather out of the wind on the cliffs.
 Jimbo C 27 Oct 2012
In reply to limey:

The climbing season doesn't end. If there's likely to be dry rock it's worth a punt. If it's cold I just wear more clothes and bring coffee.
 John Hunt 28 Oct 2012
In reply to Toreador: I agree.
 PeteH 28 Oct 2012
In reply to limey:
Invest in decent base layer leggings and top (I like merino, everyone has their own preferences), a hat, a thermos flask and a down/primaloft jacket. Cold is now not a problem. As others have said, pick your venues (with respect to aspect, wind and seepage) and activity (bouldering or short trad as opposed to multi-pitch, perhaps, on especially cold windy days) appropriately, and Bob's your uncle.

Pete.
 Offwidth 28 Oct 2012
In reply to Bulls Crack:

...and summer has midges in most places and sweaty rock; all seasons can have plus and minus points ...so its no posturing its just the reality for many of us.
 Ciderslider 28 Oct 2012
In reply to Gasmerchant: Agreed, was down on the ruckle yesterday and had to strip down to t - shirt - amazing !
 Lukeva 28 Oct 2012
In reply to limey: Roaches yesterday, friction was amazing; made the holds on the Sloth even better so the route felt easy! Beautiful day climbing
 Ciro 29 Oct 2012
In reply to limey:

Amazingly, having left london in the snow, we were climbing topless all day in a little suntrap in Gower on saturday. Didn't need the thermals until we rocked up at the campsite in the evening.
 Daymo 29 Oct 2012
Am I missing something here or what. You don't stop climbing outdoors and there is no season. I was up Glyder Fach climbing Direct Route with DJ on Saturday and was -3deg. Carry on if your man enough, that's what I say
 lost1977 29 Oct 2012
In reply to Ava Adore:
> (In reply to limey)
>
> I'm not very psyched for outdoor climbing at the moment so that, coupled with the fact that I'm nesh, means I stay indoors.

could i tempt you outside with some very good hot chocolate (made with decent chocolate and double cream) and some cake
 Russell Lovett 29 Oct 2012
In reply to limey: I am why would,nt you be to. Obviously not climbing in tee shirt and shorts but on a dry day you can always get something done. If it's bouldering the colder the better, for friction.
 Bulls Crack 29 Oct 2012
In reply to Daymo:
> Am I missing something here or what. You don't stop climbing outdoors and there is no season. I was up Glyder Fach climbing Direct Route with DJ on Saturday and was -3deg. Carry on if your man enough, that's what I say

Just like you can play cricket in the rain - it's not neccessrily that great though!
 Alex Croall 29 Oct 2012
In reply to limey:

Get a down jacket and a flask and you'll be fine year round!
 mike hooper 29 Oct 2012
In reply to limey: getting out this weekend . Fingers are starting to get cold .and head torch ready
 mike hooper 29 Oct 2012
In reply to Skip: sounds to me that the Cornish are made of stern stuff.....
 zigzag 29 Oct 2012
In reply to limey: went up to the Langdale in Lakes thought we'd do a really easy one ! Gwynnes Chimney on Pavey Arc, it was wet and greasey and we'd sacks on so couldn't get in the chimney, what a struggle... couldn't believe a diff could be as awkward. It'll be better as a winter climb.

Zigzag
 rurp 29 Oct 2012
In reply to limey: As the great Confucius once said..

stop when dark.

start again tomorrow.

buy headtorch to maximise climbing time.
 Skip 29 Oct 2012
climbkmc 30 Oct 2012
In reply to limey: my dad was so keen to get out and climb after getting a harness for Christmas a few years ago I took him to Portland early January just to shut him up. What would normally be rests to chalk up became rests to warm hands up. None the less, quality day
 Jamie B 30 Oct 2012
In reply to limey:

Where you live has a lot to do with it. When I lived in Preston we used to go cragging throughout the winter, just exercising a bit of common-sense about which venues we went to and accepting that it would be a bit chilly. Sometimes this did make bouldering the best bet. They key was that lots of south-facing rock does stay clean throughout the year in the Peak.

Now that I live in Lochaber I find that the last rock-climbs of the year are normally in October, and the first of next year in March, or possibly even April. The issue is not so much the temperature, but the wet climate and the rareness of crags drying out properly. Oh yes, and having a snow-and-ice climbing season to keep us occupied!

However, if I lived in Gairloch...
 DynamoCL 30 Oct 2012
In reply to limey:

It is a nice time of year. People start to shy away due to the weather. This in turn means the crags and parks are less populated, making a nicer experience for those willing to go out and get stuck in. I enjoy the solitude, and abhor the crowds.
 lummox 30 Oct 2012
In reply to limey: Troll ?!?
andic 30 Oct 2012
In reply to limey:

Got a text from my partner yesterday: "up for some routes indoors this week?"

Depressing

I have climbed indoors only twice since Feb
 Chris Sansum 30 Oct 2012
In reply to limey:

The climbing season ends when you get a new girlfriend.
 Bulls Crack 30 Oct 2012
In reply to lummox:

Starting to get this thread confused with the 'How raw do you like your steak' type ones ...ie 'You eat dead meat?' etc etc zzzz

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...