UKC

Looking for *thin* 1/2 zip synthetic baselayer hoody

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 iksander 26 Oct 2012
No, not an R1 thanks. My next impossible quest is to find a thin base layer (not mid layer) with an active cut and a scuba hood. Thought the Rab Baseline might be it, but turns out it's JARW (just another R1 wannabe).

Any ideas?
 Reach>Talent 26 Oct 2012
In reply to iksander:
Rab Boreas, it is certainly thin and doesn't feel awful against the skin but it is probably more mid-layer-ish.
 Mr Fuller 26 Oct 2012
In reply to iksander: This is something that I have been hunting for too. That link above is a good-looking thing but I want exactly the same as you: one with 1/2 zip and definitely not in black. In my opinion there's absolutely zero point in a thick baselayer except for durability purposes, but otherwise the Rab Baseline would indeed be perfect. I want to wear it in Scottish winter and Alpine summer - a hood means no more suncream needed on the back of your neck when baking on the glacier and would be just awesome. I'll contact some people...
OP iksander 26 Oct 2012
In reply to tony: Thanks but I think this quite thick and is brushed inside...
OP iksander 26 Oct 2012
In reply to Reach>Talent: Boreas looks promising, but maybe a little baggy?
 Mr Fuller 26 Oct 2012
In reply to iksander: I don't think the Boreas would be that good - it's quite rough and it's moisture-management properties will be nowhere near as good as something like Powerdry or Lifa. If you like it but it's baggy you can always down-size.
 lithos 26 Oct 2012
In reply to iksander:

patagucci did a lovely merino one (blue and orange) last year, guess what ...
 nickcj 26 Oct 2012
In reply to iksander:

new patagonia cap4 hoody?
 MtnGeekUK 26 Oct 2012
In reply to iksander:

Mountain Equipment Eclipse?
 Styx 26 Oct 2012
You should check out the new Patagonia Cap 4 Exped Weight hoody: http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/mens-capilene-baselayer-4-expedition-we...

I wouldn't recommend the Boreas, it's more of a very light weight softshell, it's a nice mid layer but I'd never wear mine as a base layer.
 Reach>Talent 26 Oct 2012
In reply to iksander:
It probably isn't ideal to be honest, it feels ok against the skin (not as good as merino but passable) but isn't as good at wicking.
 cliff shasby 27 Oct 2012
In reply to Styx: cap 4 hoodys my favourite winter baselayer,had one for years...
 TobyA 27 Oct 2012
In reply to iksander: probably not too many hoodies from lightweight material because people ask why? if you have thin summer weight top, not many would use the hood on it.

I've got one of these: http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/MensClothing/BaseLayerUnderwear/PRD~5026-604/... lighter and not as warm as Patagonia R1 material but still a grid, brushed fleece.
OP iksander 27 Oct 2012
In reply to TobyA:
> (In reply to iksander) probably not too many hoodies from lightweight material because people ask why? if you have thin summer weight top, not many would use the hood on it.

I quite often over heat in a mid layer hoody and windproof, I often have to dump/ waste heat by unzipping and going "medallion man". But I still want the convenience and protection of a hood. A thinner hoody would be more versatile.

> I've got one of these: http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/MensClothing/BaseLayerUnderwear/PRD~5026-604/... lighter and not as warm as Patagonia R1 material but still a grid, brushed fleece.

Good shout. Looks quite similar to my Berghaus Smoulder II, which is also less warm than an R1, but still often a bit too warm.

BUT Having a look round the MEC website I saw the T2 hoody which looks perfect:

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/MensClothing/BaseLayerUnderwear/PRD~5023-663/...
 TobyA 27 Oct 2012
In reply to iksander: He looks very manly and like he really knows where he's going in that pic too!

Yeah, that looks nice. I wonder if when I got mine if they did the different thicknesses, because mine is a lot thinner than my R1 (non-hoody version). So don't know if mine is the T2 or T3...

lithos 27 Oct 2012
I have a mountain hardware top whjchis good but the hood isn't great, quite warm though ( not as warm as an r1 )
 xplorer 28 Oct 2012
In reply to iksander:

Mountain Equipment Eclipse
 scottidog 28 Oct 2012
In reply to iksander:

MEC stuff looks great, does anyone sell it in the UK?
 TobyA 28 Oct 2012
In reply to scottidog: They are a shop, so its their own brand stuff and not available anywhere else. You can mail order it I think, but you might get stung for taxes coming into the UK.
In reply to scottidog:

MEC is a great shop, much of their own branded stuff is very good value.

However, unless you're visiting Canada or have a relative to post it over to you, it's financially not worth it.

Stuart
 Mr Fuller 29 Oct 2012
In reply to Stuart the postie: Ah, gutted, because that MEC t2 hoodie looks incredible.
OP iksander 29 Oct 2012
In reply to Mr Fuller: If you're interested we could get an order between us and split shipping and duty?
aligibb 29 Oct 2012
In reply to iksander:

I'm going to Canada to visit relatives 15th - 25th Nov if thats any help... don't mind bringing it back and posting here.
 Mr Fuller 29 Oct 2012
In reply to aligibb: Wow, that'd be really awesome actually. Yes, if you're doing that then can I stick in an 'order'? Thanks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...