UKC

Best of Himalaya in August ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 sarahjk 28 Oct 2012
I am dreaming of a trip to the Himalaya, after nearly 20 years, for a spot of trekking and exploring.

As a Teacher I am limited in when I can go, and know that August is a bit early for Nepal. I havent done much trekking in India/Pakistan so would love to hear recommendations for a 2-3 week trip, maybe with a low peak, independent or with a group. Would love to see some culture, wildlife and local events, not just hiking in high barren valleys.

And if anyone else wants to do similar, do get in touch, either 2013 or more likely 2014.

Gotta dream !
 Al Evans 28 Oct 2012
In reply to sarahkeast: Dangerous time, either still in or just after the monsoon, lots of avalanche risk.
OP sarahjk 28 Oct 2012
In reply to Al Evans: Even that much further west ?
 Robert Durran 28 Oct 2012
In reply to sarahkeast:

Ladakh should tick all your boxes.
 Dauphin 28 Oct 2012
In reply to sarahkeast:

High Tibetan plateau should be okay that time of year - think Ladakh/Spiti. Be a nightmare to get to unless you are flying in though, probable flooding and landslide, heat and humidity.

D
 seankenny 28 Oct 2012
In reply to sarahkeast:

Second Ladakh, I was there a few summers ago and it's excellent. Very easy to organise trips and so on, but fairly wild spots too.

I also did a trip up to Annapurna base camp at Xmas/New Year, which could be an option if you want to go to Nepal. It's easier and lusher than India or Pakistan.
OP sarahjk 28 Oct 2012
In reply to seankenny: Thanks Sean and Robert, would love to go back to Pokara and Annapurna, but only get a week at Christmas.

Will look into Ladakh some more.
 Duncan Bourne 28 Oct 2012
In reply to sarahkeast:
Monsoon trekking is great it doesn't rain all the time, usually once a day for a few hours. Points to remember:
1)Roads disappear - this will usually mean carrying your luggage over a landslip to the next bit of decent road and a waiting bus.
2)Leeches - There will be leeches, lots of leeches. keep exposed skin covered and we had little bags of salt to bat them with which made them drop off. In this regard tea houses are better than camping.
3) It will be wet - obvious really but a good set of waterproofs and dry bags will be very useful.
4) Quieter - not so crowded as in the more popular seasons and a bit more relaxing
 Brass Nipples 28 Oct 2012
In reply to sarahkeast:

Sichuan, western China is fine in August. Not as well known as Nepal and Bhutan etc. But trekking is great, and mostly dry. I did it independently over 10 years ago now, but probably some commercial package options now.

Couple of friends mountain biked the Annapurna Circuit this last September. So August may not be as bad as people make out.

Other options, August is perfect for Karakoram and trekking in to see K2
 shantaram 28 Oct 2012
In reply to sarahkeast: August is a good time for visiting the Karakoram mountains in Pakistan and Ladakh/Zanskar in northern India. Both are amazing areas and there are loads of options for trekking and easier peaks. Avoid visiting the Nepal Himalaya at this time of year, unless you ike cloud and rain, although the far west of Nepal such as Dolpo will be OK.
 lpretro1 29 Oct 2012
In reply to sarahkeast: Another vote for Ladakh - doesn't really get bothered by the monsoon. However, flights up to Leh from Delhi can be - they do tend to go very early in the morning before the cloud and storms build up though. Leh is a brilliant relaxed place to base your self and there are loads of options. Stok Kangri is one of the regular peaks to do and easy to arragne local porters/cooks etc
 lpretro1 29 Oct 2012
In reply to sarahkeast: Another vote for Ladakh - doesn't really get bothered by the monsoon. However, flights up to Leh from Delhi can be - they do tend to go very early in the morning before the cloud and storms build up though. Leh is a brilliant relaxed place to base your self and there are loads of options. Stok Kangri is one of the regular peaks to do and easy to arrange local porters/cooks etc. By the way if you are the same Sarah that is in the PMC then PM me as I am and have been to Ladakh - happy to share photos, info etc

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...