UKC

Paramo Velez

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BB95 28 Oct 2012
Hi there,

Hoping someone can help me choose the one I want ! What is the difference with the ones listed below and which is the best to get,

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/paramo-velez-adventure-p131253

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/paramo-velez-adventure-light-mens-waterproof-ja...

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/paramo-velez-smock-mens-waterproof-jacket-p1148...

Cheers !
 Glyno 28 Oct 2012
In reply to Bobbirks95:

Velez Smock - Standard Outer Fabric, Removeable Hood
Velez Adventure - Standard Outer Fabric, Fixed Hood
Velez Adventure Light - Lighterweight Outer Fabric, Fixed Hood.
OP BB95 28 Oct 2012
In reply to Glyno: Do you use any ? what do you recomend ?
 IPPurewater 28 Oct 2012
In reply to Bobbirks95: I have the Velez smock. I find in driving rain, the zips leak. I have got pretty wet on a number of occaisions because of this.

I would not buy another waterproof without a storm flap over the zip !

I would not recommend. I also have one of the original, old style Alta jackets, which has a double storm flap over the zip. I've never been wet in this jacket.

IPP
 Ridge 28 Oct 2012
In reply to IPPurewater:
+1
The Velez isn't a good design due to the neck and side zips leaking. I like mine a lot, but I regard it as a windproof with insulation that is ok in intermittent showers. I wouldn't recommend it as a waterproof.
 Glyno 28 Oct 2012
In reply to Bobbirks95:

I use the Velez Adventure Light (I have 2!) from about now through until spring. I find it warm enough without being 'clammy' with just a merino base layer underneath.
Too warm for summer months though.
 Glyno 28 Oct 2012
In reply to Ridge:

never had an issue with it not keeping water out.
 Prof. Outdoors 28 Oct 2012
In reply to Bobbirks95:
IPPurewater + 2
I would only use my Velez in the mountains if I had a waterproof to wear over the top!

Water gets past the zips. Nice idea, bad design. I also got wet on my chest and my back, (not wearing a rucksack). Sent it back to Paramo who said that I had overproofed it. They cleaned and proofed it to their standards.

No joy, a walk along a canal towpath left me cold and wet necessitating a change of top when I got back to the car. Takes ages to dry as well.

Other members of my club swear by Paramo but none have the velez. I consider it as a softshell for climbing. Loads of people like them though.
 Jim Hamilton 28 Oct 2012
In reply to Glyno:

I have the standard velez, removeable hood. If I were to buy choose again I would go for the lightweight fixed hood. I like the smock design, never had a problem with leaking zips etc,- after a day in rain, much dryer compared to friends kitted out in latest goretex etc.
 Lucy Wallace 28 Oct 2012
In reply to Bobbirks95:

I have the Velez Adventure Light- have had for a year and a half, used in the worst weather, throughout Scotland on multi day expeds, and its always kept the water out. Not as durable as I would like, and I trashed it on a recent MRT shout but sent back to Paramo for repair, and they replaced for the cost of a repair (£55). A bit warm but not too bad in summer in Scotland.
Just also bought the Velez Adventure, for MRT stuff, to keep the light nice for work/play, hoping it will be as waterproof but more durable.
 Glyno 28 Oct 2012
In reply to Prof. Outdoors:
>
>
> No joy, a walk along a canal towpath left me cold and wet necessitating a change of top when I got back to the car. Takes ages to dry as well.
>
>
that's very odd, I find mine too warm for anything other than winter, and it dries astonishingly fast!

Bomber 29 Oct 2012
In reply to Glyno:
Second this.
I have the lightweight and I find that almost to warm.
Never had a problem with leaking though water does seep through high pressure points I.e. rucksack strap areas, but as you are warm this has never been an issue, also dries very quickly.
As for resilience, over five years mine has worn a lot better than any Gore Tex type fabric I have ever owned and Paramos customer service is second to none.
Paramo seem to be the marmite of outdoor wear. Personally I love mine.
 Mike H 29 Oct 2012
In reply to Bobbirks95: Another Adventure Light user here.

I use it for general walking, winter mountain biking and occasionally adventure race in it when its particularly foul weather when you know you'll be out on the hill for 5 hours +

Its also worth bearing in mind the Team Adidas Terrex used Paramo during the Patagonia Adventure Race and rated them highly having used them for over 7 days in extremis.

For those complaining that they get wet inside - most jackets do there is a massive opening at the top where your head goes...
 Glyno 29 Oct 2012
In reply to Bobbirks95:

Paramo works on some sort of principle whereby the 'pump liner' forces water away from the body faster than wind/rain drives it towards the body.
Under very heavy pressure, the inner of the garment will get damp but will also dry extremely quickly as soon as the pressure yields and the liner can do it's work.

I was chatting to a MRT member a few weeks ago who mentioned that he'd stood thigh deep in a cold stream for 10 mins in Paramo trousers - obviously his legs were soaking (but NOT cold), within 5 mins of leaving the water he was bone dry!

I've no connection whatsoever with Paramo btw, and couldn't care less whether or not others wear it, I just know it works for me.
 pepperpot 29 Oct 2012
In reply to Bobbirks95:

I would defo have either with the fixed hood. I had a Velez and found the poppers that hold the hood on to be a bit of a pain in the arse. I sold that and got a Velez Light which has been brilliant. I use it throughout the year as its just about light enough do go in your sack on summer mountain days. In fact I love the whole system so much I got a Furtech jacket for winter climbing and I have always been comfortable in that no matter how bad the weather.

Over 15 years I've used both shell jackets and Paramo. I've come to the conclusion that its not about keeping the rain out, which is a pretty much impossible, its just about comfort; you can be wet and still be perfectly comfortable. I've found in bad mountain weather you will get wet (or at least damp) not matter what you wear and Paramo wins hands down in terms of overall comfort.

If you need convincing Andy Kirkpatrick has loads on his website about clothing systems.
 Ridge 29 Oct 2012
In reply to Mike H:
> (In reply to Bobbirks95) Another Adventure Light user here.
>
> For those complaining that they get wet inside - most jackets do there is a massive opening at the top where your head goes..

Really? I'd not noticed...

Whilst agreeing that the jacket that will keep you dry in all conditions hasn't been made yet, the neck and side zips in the velez are weak points, and certainly let water in on mine. That, in my mind, makes it unsuitable for walking in continually wet conditions, where it won't wick the water away as quick as it comes in.

A lot depends on the intended use. If you're MTBing or running rather than walking then it's a much better alternative than a membrane jacket, (although I'd get too hot in either and would wear a windproof and keep tolerably warm and wet).

I do like Paramo, it's very robust, works for me from late autumn to early spring, (too hot otherwise), and the customer service is good. That said it does have it's limitations, and I still maintain the velez is a flawed design.
 starbug 29 Oct 2012
In reply to Bobbirks95:

Velez Adventure Light IMHO

I have a velez light and used it for climbing and scrambling it kept me dry and warm but was very fragile. I had to send it back to Paramo. Extract from email chain follows:

Extract of email sent to Paramo

"I have a Velez Adventure Light which has proved about a durable as tissue paper such that the front below the pocket has small holes and tears in it. The sleeve has a small hole in it and a side panel has a hole in it. Neither of my RAB latok (Event Fabric) or Mountain Equipment (Goretex) used for the same activity (scrambling) have suffered similar damage. I spoke to the retailer and was advised to buy another one as repairing it would cost to much. Quite why I would buy another one when this one has performed so badly in less than a year I don't know. They advised I contact you direct. As a waterproof for walking the Velez is perfect.
for anything else I think it misrepresents itself in terms of its durability."

Paramo response

"The Velez Adventure light is designed to be a light weight walking jacket, being the outer fabric is mainly designed to be light weight, you will be compromising on tear strength compared to the normal standard weight fabric. Scrambling can be quite tough on garments with all the sharp rock edges. On this occasion as a gesture of good will we will repair the garment for you. I would recommend maybe thinking about buying a standard weight Analogy garment for future scrambling use though as you will find that the same thing will happen again if you use the light weight version."

Having said all that. Paramo are excellent at customer service and repaired the jacket FOC replacing the front panel, side panel and arm panel. So I have no complaint about the customer service just the durability of the garment. I know use it for Hill walking only.

Mike Lates 29 Oct 2012
In reply to starbug: Paramo refused to sell me the light version because of the likely damage when used daily on gabbro.
I was impressed with the lack of damage on one used by one of my guides for more than 50 days in the 2011 season though; the only rip was from crossing a barbed wire fence

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...