/ Sean Yates retires from Team Sky and cycling

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
La Shamster on 28 Oct 2012
Hmmmmmmmmm?

La Sham
In reply to La Shamster:

Timely coincidence or further fallout?
balmybaldwin - on 28 Oct 2012
In reply to La Shamster:

Sky and Beeb are saying it is not due to doping (just poor timing? or more likely due to this photo that supposedly exists of SY, LA and Ferrari)

here they say otherwise: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cycling/team-sky-cleanout-continues-as-more-admit-to-doping-20121029-28d...

balmybaldwin - on 28 Oct 2012
In reply to balmybaldwin:

It certainly looks like further fall-out, which isn't a bad thing really, too many people have been tainted, but as far as I've seen Sky are leading the way cleaning out any hint of rot.
In reply to La Shamster:

There is suggestion that Yates doped in 1989. As Dave Brailsford said the other night on 5 live they are going to have to hurt themselves some more before this is all sorted out.
Enty - on 28 Oct 2012
In reply to La Shamster:

Yatesy was off his face in the 80's (allegedly)

E
a concerned citizen - on 28 Oct 2012
In reply to Enty: And, as (Ph)Armstrong's DS at the 05 TdF, if he didn't see anything I can only imagine he spent the entire tour sedated in the mechanics truck.
In reply to Enty:

When you say off his face was that with cycling related drugs or a Cocaine Tom type situation? :-)
Talius Brute - on 28 Oct 2012
In reply to La Shamster:

DB and Sky are making too much noise for my liking.
Arms Cliff - on 28 Oct 2012
In reply to La Shamster: Absolute joke, their statement: http://www.teamsky.com/article/0,27290,17546_8202309,00.html surely if it wasn't anything to do with their recent interviews they could have just kept him on the staff for a few months; it's not like he would be missed at races, etc over the winter!
Mike Highbury - on 28 Oct 2012
In reply to La Shamster:
> (In reply to Enty)
>
> When you say off his face was that with cycling related drugs or a Cocaine Tom type situation? :-)

I've a recollection that Freddy Maertens outs Sean Y in Fall from Grace, is this correct?

Can only add that he must have been quite a one if FM found his behaviour noteworthy.
Talius Brute - on 28 Oct 2012
In reply to Mike Highbury:

Don't think SY and FM careers crossed over at all?
Dave Kerr - on 28 Oct 2012
In reply to Talius Brute:
> (In reply to La Shamster)
>
> DB and Sky are making too much noise for my liking.

Would be much better if they just shut up rather than sticking to that silly zero tolerance policy wouldn't it?
SteveRi - on 29 Oct 2012
In reply to Dave Kerr:
Truth and reconciliation would be a better approach than blanket ban of anyone with any connection ever. The pool of talent for DS, etc, is rapidly shrinking :)
ripper - on 29 Oct 2012
In reply to steveri: Sort of like the Garmin approach rather than the Sky one?
fxceltic on 29 Oct 2012
In reply to La Shamster: Personally I prefer Garmins approach, and there is no doubt that SKY have, somewhat unbelievably given their business, f*cked up the PR on all this.

However, I cannot see why they are getting such stick when they are at least trying hard to do the right thing and be anti-doping. Some people are so rabid in the anti-sky chat that they are attacking them for this sort of thing, meanwhile ignoring all the other world and pro tour teams who are basically doing nothing, certainly far less than SKY or Garmin.

Its ridiculous.
MJH - on 29 Oct 2012
In reply to fxceltic: I agree. Garmin's is the more pragmatic and educational approach IMO.

But I completely agree with you about the anti-Sky people - I don't see how criticising them for sticking to their guns is at all consistent.
Henry Iddon - on 29 Oct 2012
In reply to La Shamster:

Shane next?
MJH - on 29 Oct 2012
In reply to Henry Iddon: Stephen De Jong - Sky won't be left with many DS's.
fxceltic on 29 Oct 2012
In reply to Henry Iddon: Henry, youre usually good for the inside scoop, whats the chat re Sutton? I keep hearing that he may have a problem following SKYs latest PR initiative, but I cant ever remember hearing specific allegations about him and doping, and cant find a lot online either?
Alex Slipchuk on 29 Oct 2012
In reply to La Shamster: the reasons teams pull out of le tour due to food poisoning/stomach bugs is universally accepted as jump before pushed. All pro riders were into it
Ally Smith on 29 Oct 2012
In reply to The Big Man:

Sean yates' bio on wikipedia implies he's had an irregular heart beat/problems for a few years.

Personally i hope that it is this (or other "personal" reasons) and not the "sham" the OP implied.
fxceltic on 29 Oct 2012
In reply to ally smith:
> (In reply to The Big Man)
>
> Sean yates' bio on wikipedia implies he's had an irregular heart beat/problems for a few years.
>
> Personally i hope that it is this (or other "personal" reasons) and not the "sham" the OP implied.

Im sure Yates had a positive test on an "A" sample, but I think the "B" sample came back clear. @ Tour of Flanders maybe? Will check.
fxceltic on 29 Oct 2012
In reply to fxceltic: Im correct.
SteveRi - on 29 Oct 2012
In reply to fxceltic:
Mm. That sounds like an apologist's view, but it's not. The 100% pure approach just encourages the Omerta. After all, the whole peloton signed that UCI 'me, yeah, course I'm honest!' pledge a few years ago. A few of them had their fingers crossed. Inner Ring is thoughtful as ever:
http://inrng.com/2012/10/the-madness-of-zero-tolerance/
fxceltic on 29 Oct 2012
In reply to steveri:
> (In reply to fxceltic)
> Mm. That sounds like an apologist's view, but it's not. The 100% pure approach just encourages the Omerta. After all, the whole peloton signed that UCI 'me, yeah, course I'm honest!' pledge a few years ago. A few of them had their fingers crossed. Inner Ring is thoughtful as ever:
> http://inrng.com/2012/10/the-madness-of-zero-tolerance/

sorry, what sounds like an apologists view?
SteveRi - on 29 Oct 2012
In reply to fxceltic:
Sorry my mistake, I meant to quote Ripper further up :)
fxceltic on 29 Oct 2012
In reply to steveri: fair enough, couldnt figure out which of my posts you were talking about!

I think everyone thinks much the same thing, Garmins approach is the best of the choices available.
Arms Cliff - on 29 Oct 2012
Chris the Tall - on 29 Oct 2012
In reply to Arms Cliff:
De Jongh, like Julich and Rodgers, are foreigners so obviously likely to be dopers.

Yates is British and so couldn't have doped, and therefore has to retired on ill-health grounds
SteveRi - on 31 Oct 2012
Interesting stuff on Sky's approach and zero tolerance vs truth and reconciliation
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/20147726
Henry Iddon - on 31 Oct 2012
In reply to fxceltic:

He's an old school crit rider ! va va voooom

I reckon he'd have gone years ago but he knew to much so was easier to keep him than rock the boat. Queen Vic doesn't have to say much good about him.
Chris the Tall - on 31 Oct 2012
In reply to steveri:
Pretty even handed and quite sympathetic

Good point about there being 3 ways to run a team - Vaughters' way, Brailsford's way and the way of the ostrich, but the difference is that Vaughters doesn't have the really have the choice of running it Brailsford's way

DB may have made a rod for his own back with zero-tolerance, but given that Sky were so successful last year then it's reasonable and appropriate for them to lead the way.
fxceltic on 31 Oct 2012
In reply to Henry Iddon:
> (In reply to fxceltic)
>
> He's an old school crit rider ! va va voooom
>
> I reckon he'd have gone years ago but he knew to much so was easier to keep him than rock the boat. Queen Vic doesn't have to say much good about him.

ah I see, cheers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.