/ another ski newbie question (skins)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
skarabrae - on 28 Oct 2012
hi another question.
whats the best way to strip the old glue off a pair of skins?

cheers skara.
MG - on 28 Oct 2012
In reply to skarabrae: Hair dryer and wall paper scraper and old ironing board and patience (lots)
In reply to MG: bugger, i`m shite at patience!!
MG - on 28 Oct 2012
In reply to skarabrae: Have a plan for dealing with lots of hot sticky old glue
In reply to MG: im guessing its gonna end up every where! walls ,clothes, hair!!
James Edwards - on 28 Oct 2012
In reply to skarabrae: Try brown paper bags and a warm iron. The bags should absorb the glue when you iron them on the glue.
Hope this helps
James
HeMa on 28 Oct 2012
In reply to skarabrae:

old cotton bed linen and wax iron.
craigloon - on 28 Oct 2012
In reply to skarabrae:

When I did it I stuck them in a warm oven (it was a Raeburn though) for a couple of minutes. Then scraped off with a paint scraper. repeat ad nauseum.
doz - on 28 Oct 2012
In reply to skarabrae: You can get a heated scraper specifically for this job...takes 2 minutes to remove every last trace glue, heather, cake crumbs, ptarmigan poo etc. After many years of solvents,hairdryers and sticky fingers I conceded and bought one.... Well worth the cost...15 or so... as the reglue is like new and you end up getting a lot more life out your skins
Don know if you can get them UK but try Au Vieux Campeur..they do mail order
Think called racloir chauffant or thereabouts
Happy skinning!
In reply to James Edwards: would brown paper envelopes work? Have a large pile of them that are only gonna get binned?
MG - on 28 Oct 2012
In reply to skarabrae: NO!!! They stick to the glue and form a horrible mush.
James Edwards - on 28 Oct 2012
In reply to MG:
more heavy duty grocery bags. Hema's idea of old sheets instead of paper could be a good one though. Just be careful that the liquified glue doesn't spill round and pollute the glide surface of the skin; it is then a big pain to get off.
James
In reply to James Edwards: this is gonna be a right tw*t to do, isn't it!!
Would anyone like to pop round and do it for me,? For free ,;-)
Pay Attention - on 31 Oct 2012
In reply to skarabrae:

when you balance the time and trouble of stripping the old glue against the cost of a set of new skins .....
Scomuir on 31 Oct 2012
In reply to skarabrae:
I used old linings from curtains, an old iron and a wallpaper scraper. Took hardly any time at all, and wasn't messy. I warmed the new glue up in a jar of water (not boiling though, as this apparently causes a problem with the glue), and it applied to the skins quite easily. Very little mess, and quite quick.
skarabrae - on 31 Oct 2012
In reply to Scomuir: that sounds like a plan, think I'll do em this weekend.

Cheers all.
Blinder - on 31 Oct 2012
In reply to skarabrae: Just a thought, how have you managed to trash the glue on you skins and still be a newbie skier. Just a thought as my skins last about 2 seasons.
Henry Iddon - on 31 Oct 2012
In reply to skarabrae:

Skins are "so last season" its all about motorised touring now - http://skizee.ca/Ataglance.html
skarabrae - on 31 Oct 2012
In reply to Blinder: they,re second hand, seller recommends re gluing.
skarabrae - on 03 Nov 2012
> (In reply to skarabrae)
> I used old linings from curtains, an old iron.

just done the skins using this method,

old cotton bed sheet, cut into strips, iron over then peel off, job done, no need for a scraper, ZERO mess done in 10 min ;-)

excellent method.

thanks for the tip. ;-)
ads.ukclimbing.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.