UKC

Budget waterproof jackets...?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
OneLifeOneHeart 28 Oct 2012
I am very new to climbing (did only two days so far) and did a tour of various shops to find that I am not yet really able to afford the good jackets out there (in the GBP 250-400 range), not at this stage of my life where I just started earning my own money.

I kinda discussed with the store staff who explained in detail everything about climbing jacket (shell material, articulated armes/sleeves, abrasion-resistant, harness ergonomic etc), but still, I was wondering whether I should make a one-off good investment in a jacket that I will use forever, or spend less now, see how far and how often I will actually climb (am not 100% sure I will continue outdoor climbing, and may instead develop indoor which is more affordable for now).

Are there any brands or even non-brands you know of that have climbing jackets in the GBP 100-150 range?

And if I really must spend more than that, are there good jackets which I could use also in everyday life (in case I will not continue climbing so much)?

I would really appreciate your insights. I really like this activity, but am realizing it is slightly expensive for me.
 Blizzard 28 Oct 2012
In reply to OneLifeOneHeart:

Ta. Im just venting. I'm sure I'll be out on the hill this winter. Look out for my winter climbing partner posts. Happy to climb grade IV
 CharlieMack 28 Oct 2012

What kind of climbing are you looking to be doing in your jacket? Winter, alpine? If it's for trad etc, then you don't want to be going out when it's raining obviously!

Karrimor have brought out a new range of jackets that look really promising, that start at £89.99 for an eVent jacket, which is outstanding value!!

I'd say just get a cheaper jacket to start with, as the more you pay just keeps you warmer and drier for longer. But if you're just starting out, i'd save the money to be used on actually getting out climbing. i.e. petrol money etc. Then if you can afford a better jacket farther down the line, then you know exactly what you want from it.
 Yanis Nayu 28 Oct 2012
In reply to OneLifeOneHeart: I wear expensive clothing for walking the dog, and any old shit for climbing where it might get knackered.
 brokenbanjo 28 Oct 2012

Get a Montane Sabretooth and be happy that you can wear it for everything.
 climber david 28 Oct 2012

If you live near a go outdoors then the north ridge own brand ones are pretty good and not too expensive, especially if you get them in one of their sales. I've got one of their shells and its well cut, really waterproof and quite durable
 Gazlynn 28 Oct 2012

Just hunt around for sales and special offers £100 - £150 will get you a top of the range jacket but maybe last years colour :-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Marmot-Alpinist-Mens-Waterproof-Jacket/dp/B005CF7I9...

Happy hunting

cheers

Gaz
OneLifeOneHeart 29 Oct 2012
Thanks to everyone for your great suggestions, and...

In reply to Gazlynn:
Wow, I would have never found that on my own!

Looks like a very well-reviewed one. I think I will get this, also because it is waterproof, which I can need when walking to work... hehe

Though seriously, is the current years' price mark up just for the new colors?!
 Camm 29 Oct 2012
In reply to Gazlynn:

That's a good bargain, if it was 200g lighter I'd of bought one because I cba to reproof my spitz II!
 Sharp 29 Oct 2012
In reply to OneLifeOneHeart: Stick "gore tex pro shell" into google shop and hit the "up to £150" button for other options.
OneLifeOneHeart 29 Oct 2012
In reply to danrock101:
Was about to buy it but noticed Size Small...
(I am somewhere between M and L)

Am checking out the other suggestions.
 Gazlynn 29 Oct 2012

It pays to be small or xl when buying

I will look for some other suggestions for you.

cheers

Gaz
 ripper 29 Oct 2012
In reply to OneLifeOneHeart: I tried one of those Karrimor Event jackets, it looked decent but the hood didn't go over my helmet well enough. I bought a Berghaus Velum (Gore Active Shell) instead from theoutdoorshop.com for £135.
 Gazlynn 29 Oct 2012

Here is one I would look at.

http://www.countryside.co.uk/patagonia/mens-piolet-jacket

The other thing is to consider second hand?

People are always selling jackets on here.

Hope this helps

cheers

Gaz

Ardo 29 Oct 2012
In reply to OneLifeOneHeart: Got a Montane Superfly jacket for sale. Moroccan blue, large. Brand new and unused, though no tags.
http://www.fieldandtrek.com/montane-super-fly-mens-jacket-443258
Looking for £95, plus postage if you're not near/in Sheffield.
 GrahamD 29 Oct 2012

You certainly don't need to be looking at £250 - £400 for a waterproof unless you are entirely brand obsessed. Just keep an eye on sale rails and you will get a really good spec jacket for £150 or less.

If your interest is basically cragging you can get away with a much simpler jacket at £20 or so.
 Trangia 29 Oct 2012

The Regatta range are good. Reasonably priced around £50 - £80. They give a three year breathable waterproof guarantee which I have found from experience performs well, as well as any of the expensive big names. I've also found that the so called "life time" guarantees of the big names is rubbish, all the ones I've had start to leak after about 3 years, so you aren't getting anything better for your money.
 BigHell 29 Oct 2012

Try here, Campcraft in Bolton are having a club week from the 5th of November you will get 20% off all products and you can shop on line or phone them ask for Alister and tell them I sent you .

http://www.campcraft.co.uk/
 thin bob 29 Oct 2012
Have a look at the 'Keela' brand and TKMaxx. Make sure they haven't put the tags through anywhere important ( or negotiate a bigger discount and repair it yourself.

If it's going to be for climbing, make sure the hood goes over your helmet.
 gethin_allen 29 Oct 2012
If you go for a more budget option I'd recommend the berghaus Aquafoil 2 fabrics; for the money it's really very breathable and waterproof.

From my experience you don't really need to buy supper expensive gear to have a good time so don't stress too much about it.
 martinph78 29 Oct 2012
In reply to OneLifeOneHeart: Have to agree with keeping it cheap for cragging.

Any of the cheaper waterproofs such as trespass, regata etc will do fine for the crag and walking to work.

More importantly, and far more difficult, is finidng an equally enthusiastic belayer who doesn't mind going out in the rain!

If your not worried about brand, weight, packability etc then you'll save a fortune. Go Outdoors may be worth a visit as they have plenty of budget options.
 oddtoast 29 Oct 2012
Another vote for stalking sale rails - especially worthwhile if you can get somewhere with lots of big retailers in a row that you can pop into such as covent garden. That's how I got my >250 coat for <100 but I guess depends on sizing.

Like most things, fit should come before features - an expensive jacket that's not quite right will always bother you, whereas you can put up with a more budget one being not quite as swanky if it's comfy in the right places such as wrists and waist.

Another reason not to shell out yet is not knowing exactly what you want at this stage. Would be a pain to buy something expensive that doesn't really work with your layers. Lots of people seem to go for a couple of layers with a very lightweight tiny packable windproof/showerproof over the top, instead of a more substantial shell.

Clothes are a bit of a cost barrier to starting any outdoorsy pasttime at the beginning, so just get whatever's good enough for now and then upgrade later. I've got quite a few heavily discounted branded bits from go outdoors online (collect in store then try on) but then I'm a size that seems to hang around so am lucky. It also helps not caring about colours - if you want to coordinate a snazzy outfit that is harder on a budget!
 Aigen 31 Oct 2012
In reply to OneLifeOneHeart: Decathlon, google them. They have a UK store
 GarethSL 31 Oct 2012
In reply to OneLifeOneHeart: For cheap gear, shop sale rails, UKC for sale/wanted adverts and ebay are your best friends.

Go to a shop, pick out the sexiest jacket you like, one that fits and does what you want it to, then get one second hand or on sale.
In reply to thin bob:

> Have a look at the 'Keela' brand and TKMaxx.

I would also suggest TKMaxx; they currently have Montane Event shells, now being discounted further to £100; Evolution Pro, Alpine Guide & Superfly XT jackets. I picked up an Evolution Pro for £80 last weekend, due to their incompetent price labelling...

If you're new to climbing, you may be new to outdoor gear. Montane is one of the best outdoor clothing manufacturers there is. Event is one of the best waterproof fabrics there is.

> whether I should make a one-off good investment in a jacket that I will use forever,

ps. no jacket will last forever if you're climbing...
rockchomper 31 Oct 2012
try sportsdirect and fieldandtrek for all cheap gear.
 pff 02 Nov 2012
I for one would reccomend against the Montane superfly xt. I had 2. The first was replaced by another. They are really breathable, but not very good when it starts to rain.
 matthew 03 Nov 2012
In reply to OneLifeOneHeart: The best way to climb on a budget is to go to crags not shops. The most important piece of equipment is your shoes. Even for mountaineers. Many good climbers would not admit to owning a waterproof coat!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...