Gear forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Smock/mountain shirt advice

Martin1978 on 29 Oct 2012
Hi all,

I'm getting asked what I'd like for christmas (yeah, already!) and have been considering a mountain shirt/smock for a while.

I have plenty of layers from down and synthetic jackets, fleeces, gortex active etc so really don't need anymore clothing if I'm honest. I usually run hot when I'm active, even in winter I rarely wear anything other than a microfleece for insulation, and the down goes on when I stop.

Anyway, I wouldn't mind a smock/hoody that I could wear for kicking around the house (keep the heating bills down!), pottering about in the garage, walking to the pub or shops, cycling to college, setting up camp (when car camping), etc. Basically a garment that I can wear all of the time, more versitile than a north face hoody.

Do you think a Buffalo Mountain shirt would do the job, and if so, which one? Do you still wear these under a gortex shell or down jacket in really wet/windy/cold conditions?

I was looking at a montane extreme smock but am worried I might get too hot in it? I don't want it to be like my down jacket which only goes on when it's well below freezing and I'm sat around doing nothing.

Is there anything else on the market I should look at? Local stockists are rubbish so I'm not able to get a good look at them. My mate has a montane extreme smock (way to big for me to borrow though) and I think it's to bulky/warm for what I am after.
... not showing 18 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.
ads.ukclimbing.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums