Off Belay forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - High water table destroying my bouldering room -HELP

leon on 29 Oct 2012
Sorry for the long post but I am at my wits end on this one.

I live on hill. If I walk out of my back door I am on a raised patio (about 12 foot above the garden) looking out over the goyt valley. Below the patio is an old out house. It looks out on to the garden @ ground level. It backs up against soil & the house foundation. On one side of the outhouse is my neighbours outhouse. On the other is an old coal bunker room.

About three years ago I turned the outhouse into a bouldering room. I started by digging the floor out (by about 2 feet), laying a vasquine sheet & then a 3 inch concrete slab on top of this. Around the back & side walls I attached 3 wooden beams to the concrete slab from which the rest of the bouldering wall structure was screwed.

My problem is that during heavy periods of rain water seeps in from under the wooden beam that is on the wall next to the coal bunker room.

I looked behind the hold panels but the area above the wooden beams next to the wall is dry.

My dad figured this was due to the water table & the fact the soil floor in the coal bunker is higher than the climbing room floor. So he got me to dig a sump last autumn in the coal bunker. I dug it to about 3 feet deep. Throughout the winter the room was bone dry & I thought I'd cracked it. Though I did wonder why I never needed to pump the sump out. However since late spring this year the water is back & since autumn it is really bad, to the point I cannot really use the room.

My dad now rekons I need to dig the sump deeper & try to dig under the wall below the climbing room floor, being careful not to damage the vasquene sheet. He believes the high water table is very local & doing this will allow it to drain into the sump.

Do any of you have any ideas?
... not showing 10 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums