UKC

Armaid for golfers elbow.....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 sip a cup 29 Oct 2012
Any one cured there golfers elbow with this device or is it another fancy gizmo!
 Lurking Dave 30 Oct 2012
In reply to sip a cup: It is actually very, very good.

I bought it following all the normal consults, physios, injections etc.

I had a consult with Julian Saunders* over Skype, follow up with rehab programme and used Armaid every day (about 90 seconds per morning + 5 minutes after training/tweaking injury)

This was 6 months ago, now pain free.
Cheers
LD

*highly recommended, Google the article on dodgy elbows in Rock and Ice a couple of years ago.
 RoK 30 Oct 2012
In reply to sip a cup:
Am also interested as I'm trying to break down scar tissue after a medial epicondylectomy and am not having much luck digging into it myself.
I did a fair bit of googling before and I don't think I could find anything negative from memory (stand to be corrected on this).
I kept forgetting what the thing was called until this thread came up.

My main fear isn't wasting money, it's having one of those Alan Partridge 'Don't open that drawer' moments.
Removed User 31 Oct 2012
In reply to Lurking Dave:

I just ordered one based on your comments and the online reviews. I already feel better for knowing that I have done something to help myself. I've also been down the physio/cortisone route several times before - would be very reluctant to do so again - time, expense, inconvenience - if this works I will be delighted.
Paul Twomey 01 Nov 2012
My own experience with cripping elbow problems, rehabilitation and the use of Armaid was the reason we decided to import them into the UK. I've written a short account on the TCA blog.

http://www.theclimbingacademy.com/blog/2012/11/1/armaid-the-tca-story-by-pa...
 nufkin 01 Nov 2012
In reply to sip a cup:

I wouldn't say I'm cured, but it definitely made things hurt a lot less in a short space of time.

Brought mine over from America - quite a saving, if you're going there anyway.
 kenr 08 Nov 2012
I'm a happy user of my ArmAid for massage after (and sometimes during) any hard climbing or finger-training workout - several times a week. Feels good, and I've read some evidence that massage generally speeds recovery.

The design is both ingenious and well-refined. Good instructional videos also.

Although I originally thought it was mainly for forearms, I also use it to massage my upper arms (biceps + triceps).

I like it for quick massage of the whole range of my forearm. Then once I've identified "trigger points", in addition to focusing on those with the ArmAid (as shown in instructional video), I also go after those points by other sometimes more intense means: like one of the knuckle joints on my other hand.

Golfers elbow: For this specifically I'm not convinced that the ArmAid is the best way to go after _all_ the trigger points around that part of the elbow. I find that digging in with a fingertip or knuckle (or fixed external protruding objects) seems to find more pain points or gets at some points better.

In addition to massage, for golfers elbow I've found that the specific exercise of "wrist supination" (check for videos of different ingenious home-contstructed devices for training this articulation in a well-calibrated progression) is really valuable. Also the exercise of "reverse wrist curls". Both of these exercises are described in various good web pages about golfers elbow. I would recommend relying on the ArmAid device _instead_ of a good device for training wrist supination.

Ken
 kenr 08 Nov 2012
In reply to kenr:
Whoops -- What I intended to say at the end was:
In addition to massage, for golfers elbow I've found that the specific exercise of "wrist supination" (check for videos of different ingenious home-contstructed devices for training this articulation in a well-calibrated progression) is really valuable. Also the exercise of "reverse wrist curls". Both of these exercises are described in various good web pages about golfers elbow. I would not recommend relying on the ArmAid device instead of a good device for training wrist supination.
 duncan 08 Nov 2012
In reply to Paul Twomey:

The main message I take from your blog is the importance of seeing a good Physiotherapist who has some experience in this field, like Nina Leonfellner.
geeze 08 Nov 2012
In reply to sip a cup:Trigger point therapy worked for me and i had it bad but all i used was a small hard ball and it worked great for me.Think this gizmo does the same thing but a small hard ball is cheaper and you can carry it around with you..!!
Paul Twomey 08 Nov 2012
In reply to duncan:

Hi Duncan, for any ongoing pain or discomfort, a diagnosis from a qualified professional who has experience of the specific problem should be a first point of call.

In the Bristol area I can highly recommend Nina, or Danny Brown, who has just started practicing from TCA - see http://dannybrownphysio.com

Unfortunately it is often very difficult to get correct feedback from such a person with the direct relevant experience, as I found out many years ago with an incorrect diagnosis of my problems. However this is thankfully changing as more widespread information becomes available.

I had a very acute form of tendinosis - now labelled as chronic tendinopathy, tendon damage at a cellular level. My rehab over most this year has involved many sessions of tendon scraping with acupuncture needles, countless hours of ever increasing antagonist exercises, and a near daily use of Armaid. I was only allowed to get back to climbing (at a very restrained level) after 6 months of rehab, and another 4 months later am still being very careful in the progressive way that I increase my climbing load.

Hopefully from my experiences other people can see that the Armaid is an effective tool in maintaining and rehabilitating muscular tissue of the forearms. It is not, and should never be, a sole alternative to proper diagnosis of a chronic condition.
Removed User 27 Nov 2012
In reply to sip a cup:

I've been using Armaid for 3 weeks now and I have to say I am impressed. I would say that my golfer's elbow is 75% better already. I am not totally pain free, but to all intents I have full functionality back. Before I started using it, everyday tasks like cutting food & brushing my hair were very painful, now they're fine.

I was also impressed that it arrived within a week of ordering (I live in Canada). 95 quid well spent IMO.
 KA_R36 27 Nov 2012
In reply to sip a cup:
http://tomrandallclimbing.wordpress.com/
try this - know for a fact Danny Brown is testing this method out on himself at the moment to see if it works!
http://dannybrownphysio.com/blog-2/
 Guy T 29 Nov 2012
In reply to KA_R36:
Great link there, thank you! I would buy you a pint based on this!
Tried it and like Danny and Tom, works a dream for me. No more pain or tenderness. Awesome.
Spread the love to use Dannys words.
Guy
 fire_munki 29 Nov 2012
In reply to sip a cup:
Just downloaded the pdf for that so the comments from people who have tried it are promising.
In reply to KA_R36:

Really pleased that so many people have found this useful. I keep getting loads of emails about it, so obviously it wasn't just a unique solution for me! I've got a couple of alterations that I've done to the exercise over the years which I shall try and post some photos for at some point.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...